weight loss vs light bike.

videojetman

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
i was thinking today about all the effort we go to, to get our bikes as light as we can, and it can get mighty pricey.
but in the last 6 months i have lost around 21lbs in weight.
and i feel a lot fitter, so in theory is it more economical to just shed excess weight rather than spend ££££'s on super light weight components.
the bike i currently ride is around 24lb and i am currently at 13 stone.
i'd like to get to around 12 stone.
i'd be interested in any feedback on this subject.
many thanks, jeff.

A Race ready rider on a lardy bike will always beat a lardy blurk on a race ready bike!
Well done on the weight loss. I think you deserve to treat yourself to a nice light bike!

I too have trimmed down a little too, I am much fitter and faster and feel much better forit.

Well done on the weight loss, keep it up!

videojetman":2ta9wlf2 said:
i was thinking today about all the effort we go to, to get our bikes as light as we can, and it can get mighty pricey.
but in the last 6 months i have lost around 21lbs in weight.
and i feel a lot fitter, so in theory is it more economical to just shed excess weight rather than spend ££££'s on super light weight components.
the bike i currently ride is around 24lb and i am currently at 13 stone.
i'd like to get to around 12 stone.
i'd be interested in any feedback on this subject.
many thanks, jeff.
I look at it this way, the two things aren't mutually exclusive.

Most people, here, who are enthusiasts probably already have at least one reasonably light bike. And its throwing good money after bad trying to turn a lardy bike into a light bike.

And if I'm honest, being at my ideal fighting weight, so to speak, has always felt better on a bike, than having spent a fair amount making my bike just that extra special bit more fragile.

A light bike will accelerate fatser etc. with anyone on it compared to same said person on a heavy bike.
You can do it reasonably cheap and its instant (well as fast as postage is).

And the same for a person. But weight loss takes effort and time of which many cant be bothered or dont have. A good balance i suspect would be about right - a bit of both.

As neil pointed out, they arent mutually exclusive. So keep going to close to your ideal weight and splash a little on the bike and the balance should find itself slot into place.

You won't live longer, or have less chance of disease or health conditions with a lighter bike... loose weight first, then spend money o. The bike and you'll be around longer to enjoy it

Good effort Jeff!

G

Anyone can go out and throw money at a bike but there's something very very nice about being at racing weight and fitness ;)

I always thought I was quite skinny at 10 st 5 ish and raced at that weight running/ Tri's and cycling, then I had a session with a personal trainer who said " your quite fit but quite fat to " :shock:

So since Christmas I've lost over a stone and hope to be under 9 stone for my target race in November :shock:

I'm beating personal bests I set over 20 years ago from 10k to marathons at the ripe old age of 42 and its the best feeling ever :LOL: so instead of throwing money at a bike just pay a burly ex para to shout at you a few times a week :LOL:

Well done on the weight loss Jeff and keep it up you won't regret it ;)

I'm a firm believer in getting myself into shape before I concentrate on two-wheeled weight loss ;)

I'm about 9.5 stone at the moment, but I'm nowhere near as fit as I was (although I'm the same weight).

Nothing quite beats the feeling of satisfaction you get when you breeze past somebody on their uber-lightweight ££££ bike, and you're on your 27lb hardtail ;)

I find that a nice chirpy "on your right/left", and then a "nice bike" comment as you go past adds to the fun :LOL:

personally i thinks its a balance of both for improved riding, ive lost a stone for health and skydiving issues and feel better riding.

i always argued in car/trackday circles that some guys were spending thousands on making cossies lighter, fair play but the some of the guys were 20 stone lol and then some heavier :roll:

ultimately the pro racers have it both ways...............but i doubt they drink and eat what they want ;)

Back