Help Raleigh Team Panasonic

Didn't think you could buy anything but the frames and you had to fit your own stuff.

We never built up frames as complete bikes as it would be "dead" stock.......

Don't tell the owner how much you could flog it for either :D

Shaun

Forgot about the Raleigh-Weinmann mob.

I usually associate Weinmann with the Carlton-Weinmann team of a few years earlier. Mick Benet, Reg Smith and Big Trevor Bull. Trevor's sideburns were *way* beter than Wiggo's LOL

Shaun

Hi all,

Had some interesting feedback from A Raleigh bike forum expert. It would appear that the bike was possibly a custom build for a specific customer - I've been told it could have even been made as a one off special for someone close to the Raleigh sbdu workshop.... Looks like it definitely isn't a mixed bag of parts, which does fall in line with what I know of its history so far.

I'm going to do a bit more investigation into how the family came to own the bike twenty something years ago.

Its amazing how much information people know on these forums!

Thanks.

Scoobydaz":2r2gthfs said:
Hi all,
Had some interesting feedback from A Raleigh bike forum expert. It would appear that the bike was possibly a custom build for a specific customer - I've been told it could have even been made as a one off special for someone close to the Raleigh sbdu workshop.... Looks like it definitely isn't a mixed bag of parts, which does fall in line with what I know of its history so far.
I'm going to do a bit more investigation into how the family came to own the bike twenty something years ago.
Its amazing how much information people know on these forums!
Thanks.

Having just seen this thread I thought I would add my thoughts...firstly the SBDU only did custom builds - they are all therefore"one-offs".
It is a mixed bag of parts, the SBDU did not make or sell complete bicycles - framesets only.
I've never seen an SBDU frame with simplex dropouts or mudguard eyes...this doesn't mean it's super valuable so don't get excited! I'll have a look in my SBDU catalogue to see if this specification was listed - the 753 sticker throws me off a bit: mudguard eyes on a 753 frame!
Roadking.

Back