Schwinn 4 Banger to Straight 6..?

Barneyballbags

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I've seen 4 Bangers which have been converted to Straight 6's by using nothing more than a longer stroke rear shock.

The rear shock on a 4 banger is a Rockshox Deluxe (Coil), with a trunnion top mount and a 1.5" stroke (I think). I'm guessing that, so long as you could find a 2" stroke shock with threads for a trunnion mount at the top, then it would fit provided the threads are in the right place for the trunnion to mount to the frame?

The shock which is currently fitted. Hopefully this should clarify what I'm on about:

main.php

I've had a quick look on some of the other forums to see what people say. I just wondered whether there was anyone on here who owned a 4 Banger and knew what to do?

PS.

I realise that adding a longer stroke shock will jack the back end up a little bit. However the 4 Banger has a relatively low back end anyway, plus I'd be adding some 130mm travel forks up front at the same time, to even things out.

You don't need a specific shock for the trunion mount. I just found a regular 2" stroke shock on ebay, although it barely had enough threads on it to work. With the longer fork it should be ok.

I have always wondered what other brands of shock would work with the stock trunion, it would be nice to have more modern options.

Attachments

• banger.JPG
    banger.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 913
Thanks for the info - I did see your Homegrown when I was having a search of the forum before - very :cool:

I'd assume that any Fox coil shock would work then, provided the dimensions are correct..?

Barneyballbags":31gjtjd0 said:
Thanks for the info - I did see your Homegrown when I was having a search of the forum before - very :cool:

I'd assume that any Fox coil shock would work then, provided the dimensions are correct..?

I think Fox uses a different thread pitch on the shock body so it will not work with the 4 Banger trunion.

Good to know, thanks :)

Are there any air shocks which can be used with a trunnion mount.. Or is that a stupid question.

I think a decent air shock would completely transform it :)

Someone on the mtbr Schwinn forum made an adaptor for a Fox, but it was pretty weird looking. Risse may have made shocks that work, they did trunion mounts for GT LTS frames.

There is of course the Sid rear shocks that came with some 4 bangers, mine came with one but quickly changed it for a coil.

I had a 4 banger...........but only riased and lowered the shock to it's maximums/minimum hights...........i was was trying to get a less laid back headangle as steeing was too laidback for me..........but when i raised everthing forward the bb hight was too high and the effective t/tube shrank.......and then i wished i'd bought the next size up :cry:

Have you run the shock up and down the trunion to get a different hight yet ?

ps watch for cadle outer rub on the carbon

greenstiles":2ea7o773 said:
I had a 4 banger...........but only riased and lowered the shock to it's maximums/minimum hights...........i was was trying to get a less laid back headangle as steeing was too laidback for me..........but when i raised everthing forward the bb hight was too high and the effective t/tube shrank.......and then i wished i'd bought the next size up :cry:

Have you run the shock up and down the trunion to get a different hight yet ?

ps watch for cadle outer rub on the carbon

I haven't got the bike yet. I'm just waiting for another bike of mine to sell on eBay before I buy it. I was just asking the question so I knew what was what when I got it.

Latest posts

Back