Home made CNC bike parts ~ old school style

Nice one Pete, looks like they will do the job!

Ive got to make a few more brakesets for my ever expanding bike collection. My latest endeavours can be seen in my blog linked below.

There is some really nice home made stuff on the MTBR VRC forum.

Boss

Funny question on this thread but how difficult is it to cut say an M8 brake boss thread to 6.25mm X 1.25mm pitch.

Can't get these bosses so wondered if a machine shop could take a standard M8 boss and machine down to the spec I need.

Thought you guys might have the answer to this before I ask silly questions.

Sorry for the intrusion.

I think a brake pivot may be hardened which would make machining it difficult and weaker once machined. You might then need to find a correct thread cutting die to cut the correct thread.

It would be a lot easier to find a donor fork and take the pivots from that. Failing that if you could find a bolt with the correct tread and get a hollow pivot made similar to how the old bontrager switchblade pivots were done.

Attachments

• bonty pivots.jpg
    bonty pivots.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 1,021
mk1 breezer frok crown??????? :eek: more to this story please!!

bat40a6":1hmwgk4q said:
Nice one Pete, looks like they will do the job!

Ive got to make a few more brakesets for my ever expanding bike collection. My latest endeavours can be seen in my blog linked below.

There is some really nice home made stuff on the MTBR VRC forum.

thanks i will pop some pics up if i get them working well.

Do you do small comisions if i sent you the right file types (igs file?)

Cheers
Pete

I have a really long list of work to do for myself and some mods to my machine to do, so major commissions are out really! :) The disk adapter linked above actually looks quite complex to me and would take me many hours and mistakes to get right.

Biglev, im sure you will get them working somehow, if you need anything specific let me know, but I am not an expert, this is just a hobby and a learning process for myself.

found some new springs,pads and mounting kit. all fitted and work a treat very happy.

p4pb8506819.jpg

p4pb8506802.jpg

p4pb8506811.jpg

Re: Boss

Baldyz1":2tokc81c said:
Funny question on this thread but how difficult is it to cut say an M8 brake boss thread to 6.25mm X 1.25mm pitch.

Can't get these bosses so wondered if a machine shop could take a standard M8 boss and machine down to the spec I need.

Thought you guys might have the answer to this before I ask silly questions.

Sorry for the intrusion.

Not difficult for a machine shop to do at all. It can either be thread milled or (the easier option) CNC turned. 1.25mm pitch is a common size (standard M8 pitch) so I would guess most machine shops would have the correct tip to turn it.

Back