Is this terminal??

misteroo

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
I had my old X517 rims built up with Hope XC hubs and Sapim spokes.

After giving the bike a clean, I noticed a slight distortion around all the eyelets on the rims.
I don't know if its always been like this, or since the rebuild. You can see a slight colour change in the alloy around the eyelets, and feel a slight "bump" as you run your finger past.

Could this be a problem? Anyone else come across this.

I have tried to take a pic, but nothing shows it clearly enough.

:?

cyfa2809":16r00ii0 said:

Mmmm..interesting.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... &start=360

Page 25, all the way to the bottom....thats me in the middle of all the water!!!!
Quite an interesting theory, and the images are similar to what mine look like, although they are silver rims.
It just looks a little like when aluminium gets distorted, that lighter slivery, fragmented kind of pattern!!!

Spokes should have a little flex..You should be able to squeeze them with 2 fingers, and a nice ping to them...

I've got the same rims and the same problem on the rear, mine sounds worse though as i have cracks on a number of holes in the spoke bed. I'm just keeping an eye on it, at first ithough it was terminal but have done a couple of thousand miles on an off road since i found the cracks and they have never got any worse.

I'd say keep riding it but check after every ride, then retire thewheel when you think its getting too dodgy

misteroo":v8anwm6c said:
I had my old X517 rims built up with Hope XC hubs and Sapim spokes.

After giving the bike a clean, I noticed a slight distortion around all the eyelets on the rims.
I don't know if its always been like this, or since the rebuild. You can see a slight colour change in the alloy around the eyelets, and feel a slight "bump" as you run your finger past.

Could this be a problem? Anyone else come across this.

I have tried to take a pic, but nothing shows it clearly enough.

My X517 rear did this a while ago, and had formed into several cracks by the time I even noticed the distortion, both along the centre line of the rim, from spoke to spoke, and across the rim, around to the braking surface.

I did ride it on 2 fairly long but easy road/path rides with the Mrs, but found a replacement in perfect nick and rebuilt the wheels with that.

When I collected from the shop, my old rim was there still, and the ease with which i could break it into pieces was shocking!

Keep an eye on it

G

Had a closer look this morning, and it does seem to be more of an anodising issue as per Cyfa's link.......I hope!!!! :shock:

I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

Back