Sunn bmix 1999 project

Ash Bmix

Dirt Disciple
Hi

last summer i began to breath some new life into my sunn bmix.
i started out planning to just make up a cool commuter after seeing this pic on the web.
main.php

unfortunately i did not take a pic of the bike before putting some new parts on but this is it with new tyres and a chainring and a seat.

i gave it a good hard polish before this pic.

p4pb8455214.jpg

p4pb8455239.jpg

next up was a matching front wheel to the rear i decided upon a allinex sealed bearing front hub (black) that found in a local shop for £25.
black spokes and i tried to get a 321 ceramic but i could only find a 521.
the hub is pretty sweet but i cannot find any info anywhere.
also some high rollers.

p4pb8455241.jpg

i know the seat post is to high before anyone moans.

by this time i had fallen in love with my bmix all over again and decided to try and rebuild it the best i could with the little cash i had.
next step was to get some of the parts powdercoated black to match the colour scheme a little better. so off went the seat post, stem and cranks to the powdercoaters.

p4pb8454798.jpg

this is the current state of the bike now but unfortunately the bike has had a flared headtube. its been flared for around 9 years but i bonded the cups in. recently the cups have started to move again so i decided a new frame was required.

p4pb8454793.jpg

so i found one on ebay nasty as hell no decals originally yellow but it had been sprayed over matt black really badly.
but a bargin at £11.

off this went to the powdercoaters the colour match aint perfect but i was not wanting to pay a fortune for special order powder so stock red it was, next problem decals.

the decals i could of had made by the chap on here. but i decided i would have a go rather than pay someone else. after speaking to a couple of printers and getting stupid quotes, i downloaded a vector drawing programme and began to learn how to us it.
a week later i had came up with these, and sourced the bulges for the decals too.

p4pb8455526.jpg

this brings me up to the present and this is what the new frame looks like.

[http://gp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb8455544/p4pb8455544.jpg/img]

[img]http://gp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb8455543/p4pb8455543.jpg

i decided to try something different with the bmix and 099 stickers and have went down the ghost decal look i may change it yet as i have the original colour and plain black also made up.

if anyone needs some making up or even other designs then give me a shout as im a bit of a dab hand at it now.

heres the original and the new one.

p4pb8455545.jpg

next step a new rear wheel colour coded like the front.
also looking for a profile whippet chainring 44t.

anyone got any suggestions?

Some good work here :D
Not sure about the forks - are they SIDs? I'd go for rigid forks if you can find some or at least a more heavy duty suspension fork.
What freewheel are you running? 44T seems quite big for the chainring. I run 18 / 40T on mine which I really like.
Is your old frame repairable, new headtube perhaps?

The forks are Sid 100's and are really solid they don't really flex at all.
Alot of people say that they are really flexy but these have a chunkier crown than the later models. As for some rigid forks the original are like rocking horse s**t. I spoke to Brian Curtis of Curtis bikes last year and he said he would reproduce a set if I could find some originals to take measurements from but I have failed to find any to measure.

Gearing is 44/18 which I'm going to change to 44/16 as I'm spinning out quite often. I don't find the current gearing to hard but I'm quite a big guy 14 st,
6ft 4in.

The headtube is repairable but to be honest now I have the new frame I'm going to just retire it gracefully, and put it up on the wall.

i may have a spare pair of nos 97/8 model forks at work, they are chrome and not exactly the same as the later ones?

yes, if i have a spare pair. i will look tomorrow to see if there is a pair still n.o.s.

they are chrome, the tops are like a normal bmx fork, but the dropout is the same as the later forks.

i changed the ghost style bmix and 099 for black ones tonight and i think they will be staying.

p4pb8464007.jpg

also shows some of the decals i made can do any colours if anyone wants some.

Ash

Latest posts

Back