NWA: Delamere Forest ~ 28/07/2012 ~ AFTERMATH on pg2.

Easy_Rider":2lw3gdbq said:
2 x 32mm spanners should do it.

I'll have The Box with me - if this afternoon/evening goes well it'll be a shakedown ride so I'd better bring everything! :oops: :LOL:

hmm, a select little band we appear to be! Shall I bring the customary red hope front wheel or give it a miss for this one...? :roll: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Looks like I'll be singlespeeding, or maybe three if I'm lucky :oops: Does anybody have a Gripshift grip to fit an SRT500 pretty please? Mine have turned into a very strange kind of gooey mush :oops: Particularly annoying as I karma'd away a NOS blue set on here! Ah well, see y'all on the morrow, just the standard lounge puncture (howhowhow??? :x:x:x) to fix and some sleep will be required...

Just the 4 of us? Does anyone know where we're going :LOL:

This Olympic ceremony isn't half going on a bit!

AFTERMATH:

The nettles, bracken and brambles took their toll on my poor thrashed shins and arms yesterday, as the four of us explored some of Delamere's lesser known trails. Some of them probably didn't even exist until we rode them.

After a less than promising start which involved removing bolts from Martin's windscreen wipers to fix a stripped out quill stem, we eventually got riding by about 11:30am.
Prior to that my sat-nav insisted that we should start the ride by driving though a fence and into a thicket.
Who said the trails at Delamere were difficult to find?

Anyway, with Pete put forward as our guide we explored the forest using 70/30 percent recognition of where we were at any given time.
We found the jumps and 4X track littered with Monster Energy cans and the smell of vest wearing pot-head bikers. We subtly laughed at their big-rig bike choices while they openly guffawed at our creaky old bikes as we carved up some sweet berms and tail-whipped the doubles.

Martin's mechanical problems continued with a slipping middle chainring, forcing him to ride everything in the 46 tooth outer. He seemed to relish the challenge on his 1989 Rockhopper.

Gav brought out his lovely 1985/86 Diamond Back, which was great apart from a constantly loosening headset.
Pete was on his freshly acquired 1992 Muddy Fox Courier Mega. Lovely bike, or at least it will be once the cantis are sorted. Goes to show how far £25 can get you.
I was on my trusty 1997 Saracen Kili Comp, resplendent with V-brakes, 24 gears and front suspension. All the mod cons. Only let down by some less than resplendent technique from it's rider.

After a few hours we'd created a nice spaghetti GPS trace over about two thirds of the forest and retired to the pub to catch the end of the Olympic road race.

Great day for Vinokourov and a great day for getting lost in the woods.

Next time we should really find someone with a bit of local knowledge...

The Ride That Almost Never Was...

With the sun beating down, bikes falling apart, no one appearing very awake, the Olympic road race on the big screen and the picnic tables outside the pub looking oh so inviting it really is impressive we made it out at all. But with some ingenious and determined bodging and a selection of large spanners in a jiffy bag, all was made well. Ignoring of course the stripped thread in my cleats which I was sure would be fine - that's why there's two bolts right?

With my couple of previous meanders around the forest resulting in a complete loss of direction and escape through the aforementioned ladyfarm, I was really looking forward to being shown the best that Delamere has to offer. Sadly it quickly transpired that my vast lack of local knowledge was easily matched by all present so the phrase of the day soon became 'I think I recognise this bit', followed by a round of disbelieving faces as I lead us up another thorny dead end :oops:

However we did find plenty of good trails, a few excellent descents to ride up and various amusing bogs to nearly vanish in, so all was well and I certainly had a great time, despite bramble decimated arms, legs and chin!

We even timed the return to pub perfectly to lay into some much needed grub and catch the end of the race over a couple of beers.

So in the end a great day out exploring the woods with the elite of the North West! Sometimes just turning up with a £25 bike, no map and very little idea where you're going really is the very best way to go riding :cool:

A cracking day out!
No aftermath is complete without some photos so here are a few.

And HERE is the ride GPS tracker, we might be able to use this to create a good loop

left to right: DSP's '97 Saracen ¦ elpedros '92 Muddy Fox Courier Mega ¦ Harrycrumbs '89 Rockhopper ¦ ERs '85 Diamondback Apex

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2270.jpg

IMG_2272.jpg

"Some" pre-ride fettling

IMG_2268.jpg

Dismantling HarryCrumb's "hippy van" to fix a stripped quil stem
Tsk, spot the dirt.

IMG_2274.jpg

IMG_2267.jpg

Harrycrumb showing us how it should be done.

IMG_2273.jpg

Shame there's none of you jogging through that bog in your white shoes Gav :p :LOL:

None of my massive double whip on the big stepdown either...

Great ride, we will have to gradually make up a route over time so that we can give it a really good shake down.

that last picture looks worse than it was too, good capture Gav ;)

Back