1996 MERLIN XLM - finally completed

I got some nice NOS Mavic X517 Ceramic rims from a fellow forum member and was finally able to take the wheel parts to my LBS so that they can build the wheels. Hopefully they'll get them done during next week so that I can finish the Merlin build which is long overdue.

my vote goes to Syncros Ti post… anything else isn't an option in my opinion. :roll:

good choice in swapping out the outer ring. ;)

Managed to find me some surplus time to finally finish the Merlin.

I got the wheels about a month ago or so but I just didn't have time and interest in setting up the cables etc to get it done but now it's ready.

This might be my last? retro build since frankly, my storage space doesn't allow any more bikes than the current 3 (had to even sell off my '96 Klein Adroit). Since I now have a Klein Adroit, a Spesh Ultimate and this Merlin XLM, I don't have any reasons to complain if the number of bikes stays as it is.

Anyway, back to the Merlin build! I think she turned out quite pretty and svelte too: 9,74 kg with Ringlé post (bit lighter with Syncros).
In the beginning, I had a set of 1st Gen CrossMaxi and I probably should have used them instead of getting the current bling-bling wheels built but the new wheels are pretty fine too.

Now here's the bike:

merlin_xlm_4.jpg

Option build with Syncros Ti post:

merlin_xlm_16.jpg

Parts spec is as follows:

Frame: 1996 Merlin XLM
Fork: Pace RC35 MXC + Stage2, hydraulic damper & travel extension
Headset: Chris King NoThreadSet
Stem: Ringle Zooka Ahead 120mm
Handlebar: Merlin Ti
Grips: GripShift
Barends: onZa OZ-170
Shifters: GripShift SRT-800 X-Ray
FD: Shimano XTR M950 TP
RD: Shimano XTR M950
Cassette: Shimano XTR M950
Chain: Shimano XTR IG90
Gear Cables: Shimano inners + Tune outers
Cranks: Syncros Forged
Crank Bolts: Syncros Crank-o-matic
Chainrings: Syncros Hardcore 44/32/22
Bottom Bracket: FSA Ultimax Ti
Pedals: Shimano SPD M747
Brake Levers: Avid Ultimate
Brakes: Avid Tri-Align with Dia-Compe pads
Brake Cables: Shimano inners + Tune outers
Seatpost: Ringlé Moby Post
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Transalp
Front Hub: Pace RC-50XC
Rear Hub: Chris King Classic
Spokes: DT Swiss Titanium MMC
Nipples: DT Swiss Aluminium
Rims: Mavic X517 Ceramic
Rimstrips: Maxxis Flyweight
Skewers: Ringlé Twisters Ti
Tires: onZa Racing Porcs II Kevlar 2.1"
Tubes: Maxxis FlyWeight

black Ringle post, even though the Syncros is Ti. Balances the build better with the forks. ;)

nice light build! my rigid Merlin with Bonty comp forks is just a tad under 9kg last i weighed it. so yours isn't too far off.

Back