1991 Merlin Hardtail -- Now with PICS!!!!! :)

r0gue":1gai2asp said:
Edit -- See next post by me. ------

Small pressed BB so it's gotta be what 1992ish?...

Yes, 1992 is the last year Merlin use pressed BB, with their titanium spindle, and the suntour grease card system :D

But your head logo is not original (just a decal on 1992… ;) )

Look the Serial number and you could know the year it was welded

Re: Canti's

Wold Ranger":3k7v6j9t said:
Crying out for Canti's instead of Vees and a Rigid fork, stunning bike all the same.

Agreed! I guess I'd need to change the levers and add cantis as these levers would be linear pull right?

Suggestions for a fun pick? Pauls? Of course the bay has a lot of those so they may be too new?

There is nothing like a Merlin frame.
As stated this looks like early 90's with a new head badge.
Would like great with a period correct pace fork.
If it's a rider I would keep the vees as they work way better than canti's but that depends on your own taste.
Congrats,once your go Merlin there is no going back :D

marker":mtrxr8sg said:
There is nothing like a Merlin frame.
As stated this looks like early 90's with a new head badge.
Would like great with a period correct pace fork.
If it's a rider I would keep the vees as they work way better than canti's but that depends on your own taste.
Congrats,once your go Merlin there is no going back :D

SN# 51xx so it is a mid 1991 frame. The head badge is already off! :D

I do believe this will be my off-road rider, and I'll make my Grove my coffee shop park rider. I don't want to muck up the Paul mechs.

The front derailleur is an XTR FD-950 and seems to have some issues. loose pin or something. As I want to use this bike. I was thinking, perhaps a fresh set of XTR group? Should I go Shimano shifters or stick with gripshift? Should I stick with 8 speed? Go 9 speed modern? Thoughts? Thx!

I have a 93/94Merlin mountain and I have fitted al new XTR and a modern fork and it rides like a dream.
Grip shift is a matter of opinion.
Like = keep.
If you want to keep the bike retro then find period correct parts and go for it.
If thou want to get the best from the frame buy modern.

Just bought that segmented Ti fork from the MTB For Sale classifieds. I'm going to rigid it up! Just having fun like crazy since I found this place. I thought I was the only one in the world that felt this way. Now I know better. I've been a thumbshifting goof for a looong old time.

looking forward to seeing the updates with the ti fork!! a really cool bike allready though. Love my merlin, just rides like a dream :D

Back