Olympic road race Saturday

matthew71":3t3nspij said:
daj":3t3nspij said:
I cannot believe I just wasted 6 hours watching that!! :?

Me to,but I did go to the gym this morning,so not to bad.but dont worry ben johnson is getting ready for the 100 meter heats :shock:

I wanted to go, but my fall last week, resulting in broken ribs, means I'm laid up unable to do any exercise! Going stir crazy!

What is it about dog owners and cycle racing?? Why can't they control the beasts?

Also the way the media hyped up GB as if they just had to turn up to take the medals. Just because they won a race in France. Totally different events.

The media should calm down.

The problem with dogs is not just confined to road races, plenty of equestrian three day events have the cross country stages marred by idiot dog owners.

Shouldn't think there is any chance of that at the Olympics though, as I would have thought dogs would not be allowed near the place.

Disappointed at the result, especially as it looked like it was coming together neatly for Cavendish after the last lap of Box Hill - I'm sure if the British team had been offered the position before the start they would have taken it, although perhaps without having had to do quite so much driving of the peloton.

Cracking race though, plenty of moves and drama (really feel for Cancellara as twice in a year is desperate luck although quite what he was doing I'm not sure) and my thoughts on possible winners changed frequently until the last 2 km or so when it was clearly one of two.

Respect has to go to Ian Stannard, probably the least celebrated of the GB riders but prepared to put in some huge shifts on the front, a beast of a performance. Credit to Wiggins for finishing too, it would have been so easy to drop out when it was clear that it wasn't going to happen to happen for Cavendish.

Roll on tomorrow and seeing how Lizzie Armistead gets on then the time trial on Wednesday.

matthew71":3rjdasct said:
kids, take all the drugs you want to and become olympic champ.crap coverage,piss poor course and a cheating bastard winner

But the "Teem Gee Bee" captain has had his own adventures with illicit substances no? :roll:

After the horrendous accident Vino had last year you have to admit he deserves this. Britain's tactics were not the best but as good as could be managed. Loads of cheering watching the screens at Box Hill when Vinoukorov won. The BBC coverage was horrendous. And why did they ask Vino whether he thought that the British had been treated badly?

I'm going tomorrow as well and muchly looking forward to it.

cornholio's RC200":36qf8r56 said:
matthew71":36qf8r56 said:
kids, take all the drugs you want to and become olympic champ.crap coverage,piss poor course and a cheating bastard winner

But the "Teem Gee Bee" captain has had his own adventures with illicit substances no? :roll:

After the horrendous accident Vino had last year you have to admit he deserves this. Britain's tactics were not the best but as good as could be managed. Loads of cheering watching the screens at Box Hill when Vinoukorov won. The BBC coverage was horrendous. And why did they ask Vino whether he thought that the British had been treated badly?

I'm going tomorrow as well and muchly looking forward to it.

Glad someone else agrees and it's not just me that thought that.
It was truly bad.

As to Jill Douglas asking Vinokourov that question when she should have been focussing on his achievement of winning the gold was petty in the extreme.
What did she expect, (Cavendish thought this too) the other teams just to wave our guys through to let them win? :roll:

yo-eddy":3afeu0mk said:
watching the race at Ed Edwards place right now :D Hope one of the Dutchies will win though :D :D

If you have your Groovy in the car, I'm coming over to have a look ! :D

Shame Kav didn't get the sprint finish we all hoped for, but thats racing I guess

Tbh, I thought it was a great race. Think the lack of team radios made for a more exciting race. And my favorite rider in the peloton won today. And screw all that stuff from the past. Seems to me like they were all doing it back then. And Vino sat out his time. Don't hear any complaints about Millar being on the GB team. A totally deserved win and a great crown on the most exciting rider of the last decades career (imho). Congrats to Vinokourov.

The Danish commentary was pretty poor too, if it's any compensation...

Rolf Sørensen was pretty derogatory of UK cycling crowds as being "not used to it" and expected people to be less-than-understanding of the GB team's failure to walk it...

Basically - they let the wrong people get away at the wrong time and nobody would work with them to draw them back in. They rode like f..king troopers today and nobody can take that away from them.

My heart really went out to Cancellera today though. Apart from Fuglsang, he was the guy in the break I would have really liked to see win. Vino... was it just me or did that little talk he had with the Columbian guy just before he went off, look a little bit suspect? :eek:

rienster":24njyusz said:
Tbh, I thought it was a great race. Think the lack of team radios made for a more exciting race. And my favorite rider in the peloton won today. And screw all that stuff from the past. Seems to me like they were all doing it back then. And Vino sat out his time. Don't hear any complaints about Millar being on the GB team. A totally deserved win and a great crown on the most exciting rider of the last decades career (imho). Congrats to Vinokourov.

vino the most exciting rider over the last decade ? really . well i suppose if you ride around full of someone else,s blood you would feel like 2 men

and vino and a columbian in the winning move, you got to love the irony of that. i bet he put his kids through university :LOL:

Back