Ebay stolen bikes and parts *for your info update*

You purchased the forks in good faith. As stated by others, if the insurance paid out then they are now longer the original owner's forks, and you have no responsibility to him. The original owner is not allowed to benefit from a crime committed against him. ie: he gets reimbursed OR his property back. Not both. It is now between you and his insurance company. No reason for you to lose out on their account.

FMJ":1b27gjvm said:
You purchased the forks in good faith. As stated by others, if the insurance paid out then they are now longer the original owner's forks, and you have no responsibility to him. The original owner is not allowed to benefit from a crime committed against him. ie: he gets reimbursed OR his property back. Not both. It is now between you and his insurance company. No reason for you to lose out on their account.

Yep, that's true. I assume the insurance paid out but I don't know the details. The police are going to speak to the owner, be that the guy who had his bike stolen or the insurance company.
We'll see what happens. I'll post an update when I have one.

are you sure the email is really from the police, i would have thought they would have came to your house rather than email you

bigmick":oiwbyu82 said:
are you sure the email is really from the police, i would have thought they would have came to your house rather than email you

Yes I was suspicious too initially. The police had got my email address from Ebay and I spoke to the officer directly and checked that Ebay were aware of the case, it's legit.

if you paid by paypal and your account is funded by a card with the visa logo you might be able to chargeback

Re: Ebay stolen bikes and parts

Johnboy":dpk31n6n said:
I had an email from the Met police today telling me that they believe some carbon forks I bought on Ebay back in April were taken from a stolen bike.

an email? have you spoken to someone from the Met Police on the phone to confirm this??

To me it sounds a little... dodgy... the Met Police emailing you about a set of forks...

Just tell them you've sold them on already, and you no longer have them ;)

I've had emails from plod before now about dog related issues. It's not unheard of.

The email should have the officers details in it which you can check.

The bit I find most scary is ebay washing their hands of this one - so much for their big 'buy with confidence' tagline on the login page.
I sincerely hope that you paid by Paypal, as I think you should be able to get a refund.

Sadly you have bought stolen goods and knowledgeable criminal sellers are hard to separate from genuine enthusiasts.

Again this is another reason to pay with Paypal goods not gift on this site. The odds are that at least some sellers here are dodgy - that's not any specific accusation, just the balance of probability of any site with thousands of users.

"Believe" in dibble speak is quite a strong word, much more weight than suspect.

I'd ask what naked them believe that, see what they say. If they've just raided the guys flat fans found the stolen frame that goes with them, then even without serial numbers on the forks themselves their case is pretty strong.

You need intent, or mens rea, to he guilty of a handling offence. The fact you handled then doesn't make you guilty - your knowledge, or even reasonable suspicion that they might be half inched is what completes the offence.

If the email is genuine the address will end .pnn.police.uk

Feel free to pm me if you want to bounce more detailed info around.

Chops.

And what of Ebay's part in this? Providing an easy means of disposing of dodgy goods? I haven't seen this listing but some are pretty damn obvious.

Back