Help dating a Harry Quinn

hazeyblue

Devout Dirtbag
Thanks to a chance conversation, I've just picked up a lovely Harry Quinn (it was destined to a car-boot sale this weekend).

Nervex lugs.531ST frame. 531 Forks. MA40 wheels. Edco hubs. Stronglight crank, Suntour mechanism.

I'm suspecting mid 80's. There's a serial number on he bottom relating to the Nervex, yet I can't find anything relating to Quinn.

Hoping someone can assist.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 1,485
  • photo copy.JPG
    photo copy.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 1,485
Neat looking frame, lugs and style of braze on's would put it in the 70's at the latest. In particular the cable guides for the mechs seem to go over the botom bracket, in the vary late 70's and 80's they went under the bottom bracket. Are the brakes held with nuts or allen bolts?

Might not be a Harry Quinn, the decals are easy to get hold of.

Just noticed the head badge touches the lug, BITD frame builders used to file the lugs to keep them away from the badge, even Carlton filed the Capella lugs to do this.

What's the number on the BB? is it a post code?

Cheers

Shaun

Quinn

Thanks Shaun, appreciated.

I guess that's why I asked the question, having read of Quinn's usually having obvious markings...

Pics of BB if it helps.

EDIT: The head and seat tube badges are on the paintwork and the Harry Quinn typeface on the down tube is under the lacquer.

Attachments

• photo copy 2.JPG
    photo copy 2.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 1,449
  • photo copy 3.JPG
    photo copy 3.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,449
  • photo copy 4.JPG
    photo copy 4.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,449
Just added to my post above.

IIRC some BB's came marked for the design and angles. Very neat brazing.

Not sure why, but it looks like a Mercian to me..........

Shaun

Thanks again Shaun.

Could it be a Mercian made frame, ordered by Harry?

Whatever it is, it's a beautiful bike, a keeper... it will be cleaned up and left with it's current patina.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,422
  • photo copy.JPG
    photo copy.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,422
  • photo copy 2.JPG
    photo copy 2.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,422
The photo's look like an HQ, but my guess is that it was most likely built by someone under Harry's guidance.

I have three Quinn's. Two track and one road, Harry definitely built them all.
His signatures were the serial number on the BB. They always began with a QXXXXX

hope this helps, :)

From what I can see, I reckon that could be '60s-early '70s. Lack of bottle cage braze-ons, fork bend, rear brake-cable routing, Nervex lugs. Alternative locations you might find a serial number- fork steerer, rear dropouts. That number on the bracket is Nervex-related- not a framebuilder's serial number unique to this bike. Are they Campagnolo dropouts? Band-on or braze-on gear levers?

Possibly resprayed by Quinn? Can't see the 531 decals clearly, but they don't look like '60s/early70s ones. Probably came with the respray.

Interesting mix of '70s/80s components, none of them as old as the frame, (if I guessed it's age correctly), except possibly the bottom bracket?

The 'England' headbadge is a lot younger than the frame as a whole. Doesn't this date to the Frank Clements era in the 80's? The frame definitely looks 60' ish with the over bracket cable guides etc. so it's more than likely a respray. Very unusual for it not to have a Qxxx number on the BB if it is an genuine HQ. I'm also surprised to still see the Nervex codings still on the BB, I would have thought they might well have been filed off.

I've seen genuine Quinn's with just 4 digit frame numbers on his early bikes, followed by Q plus 4 digits and then Q plus 5 digits. Then Clements bought Quinn's and sold a mixture of frames badged with Harry Quinn graphics, some good, some not so good.

As torqueless said it would be interesting to know what drop outs are on it. Oddly I have a similar unidentified frame:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=287759

With Nervex Professional lugs it could well be late 50s through to 70s but unfortunately that makes it very difficult to ID as there were hundreds of builders.

I posted earlier on a different thread about my Viking Severn Valley Harry Quinn. I have just checked the photo of my frame number and it begins with VQ 5007 QV inverted. I believe it to be a very early version of the Northern Ireland era Vikings from 1977. It has a short frame , I catch my toes in the front wheel if I'm not careful . It has Campagnolo chainset , seat post , hubs pedals and brakes , Mavic handlebars.

Back