GT Xizang 1992 project page

Tizumo

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Today I received some essential stuff for my Xizang build so maybe it's time to open a thread for it. I had planned a classic 1991-1993 XT M730 build, and already having a 1990 Team Avalanche, I bought the 18" frame from Radoslaw last spring.
I've been slowly collecting the necessary parts as I was missing the U-brake, True Temper bar, Onza ti barends..and flip-flop stem which arrived today (and it's nos :) ). The decals on the frame were changed for 1991 ones, so I ordered the right "1992" ones from gil_m.

There's also some Salsa El Kaboing decals in the pic, but it's another project ;).. More pics of the Xizang coming soon.

The TT bar I bought was far from "nos", but decided to buy it as most of the scratches will not be seen as they go under the grips & stuff - and you don't see that many True Temper bars for sale. The bar also had some rust so I put a plug to the other end and some hot water + citric acid inside. The result after (only) 3 hours was much cleaner bar, but of course not perfect. The bar had to be cleaned well after the treatment with acid, and it has to be protected against rust. But well, it was only 4$ + shipping :).

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

there is something that is just magical about the 91 92 Xizang. Especially when built as you propose.

i look forward to watching your progress!

That's where I bought the stem from. Very good seller, quick shipping too :D .. I had some other stem options too (Tioga, earlier GT, Control Tech), but I think this is the right one.
Somehow the yellow color of the decals didn't appear quite as I had expected, so I'll have to get another set - otherwise the color keeps bothering me a long time. :?

Tizumo":2f2poss1 said:
That's where I bought the stem from. Very good seller, quick shipping too :D .. I had some other stem options too (Tioga, earlier GT, Control Tech), but I think this is the right one.
Somehow the yellow color of the decals didn't appear quite as I had expected, so I'll have to get another set - otherwise the color keeps bothering me a long time. :?

i have a set of genuine xizang stickers in the cupboard. they might be helpful for you to judge colour?

i could scan them for you and email if that is helpful.

they are so old, they have stuck to the backing papers, so theycan't be used to stick on the bike

Back