Help with brakes

Dmnic3

Dirt Disciple
Hi.

I am currently putting together a Raleigh milk race and I have some shimano exage brakes that I have just attempted attach. However the fixing bolts for the brakes won't fit into the holes in the frame and forks? Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Cheers.

brake fitting

Sorry if i'm teaching you to suck eggs - there are two types of brake fittings:- nuts which were on earlier frames ie my 70's Carlton and allen key on later frames ie my 1990 Dyna Tech. You can have an earlier frame drilled to accept later brakes but better to source the right brakes
cheers Bill

I am new to bike building so everything is a great help. The brakes I have are allen key so I guess I will need to source some nut ones or get the frame drilled?

Dmnic3":q0odbn1x said:
I am new to bike building so everything is a great help. The brakes I have are allen key so I guess I will need to source some nut ones or get the frame drilled?

Drilling the fork is a straightforward job with the correct bit.
Drilling the rear bridge can be a bit trickier, depending on how wide the tube is and whetehr it is round or it has a boxed section. If your calipers need a recession bolt, I think you have no other option than drilling as the screw is not long enough to use a common nut.
I wouldn't drilled an expensive frame but rather find the correct period brakes. If it is a gas pipe special, then drill...

Worth checking the caliper reach before you drill anything. Make sure there's enough adjustment for the shoes to reach the rims.

An option that I am exploring is rebuilding an allenkey style calipers with a nut and bolt, I can't see why it wouldn't work but I haven't quite got round to it yet. I really need to pick up a job lot of old calipers - if you have some old ones you could try.

Thanks for the help everyone. Managed to get some old weinmans from my local 2nd bike shop so I'm going to give them a go before drilling.

Back