Why carbon?

samsbike

Retro Guru
I made the mistake of walking into the specialized concept store and getting the whole sales thing on one of their carbon bikes.

However, a good carbon is around £1400 ish and going up.

A custom steel, from Bob Jackson etc, with similar finishing kit, is about the same price.

So, how come people still go for the carbon or alu jobs at that price, - is it all about the frame etc?

samsbike":h7nqi25o said:
I made the mistake of walking into the specialized concept store

I was there too. Chatting to the mechanic. It's a very modern store. I wouldn't normally go there :oops:

Haven't a **** why they go for carbon? Sales talk?

It's just marketing BS. Just look how aluminium became the norm over steel throughout the 90's. Same thing will probably happen with carbon. Carbon frames/bikes are getting pretty cheap now. People will buy them because a few years ago only high end stuff was carbon.

Look at similar priced alu & steel bikes. They will have much higher spec compared to carbon framed bikes at the same price point. For £1,400 you are going to get a fairly average carbon frame with a lowly groupo.

JamesM":ww5jp96g said:
That's what they said about aluminium too!!! Lighter = better?

In the case off a Klein it is :cool: For Trimble then carbon is best

BobCatMax":30ne4sa7 said:
I didn't say better.... :LOL:

generally - newer tech = higher price

Yep which is why people believe it to be better. The reality is steel, aluminium, carbon and titanium all have different properties and no single one is better than any other. Its "horses for courses", personal preference etc.

Back