Wheel Flex - What's "Normal"..?

Barneyballbags

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Hi guys,

I've recently got myself a 2012 Cube Peloton Race on the Cycle to Work Scheme, and very nice it is too. However, I swapped the QR skewers over today, and after I'd fitted them I checked the wheels for side-to-side play.

Whilst there was no play in the wheel bearings, there was a good few mm (enough to touch the brake blocks on either side) of side-to-side flex in the wheel when I 'wiggled' it. I'm wondering whether this is normal or not?

I know that all wheels contain an inherent amount of side to side flex, so I'm wondering whether this is something which I need to be concerned about or not. It was more than likely there anyway, and I didn't notice it until I checked, however I'm wondering whether it might have something to do with the QR skewers in so much as they don't clamp quite as well as the old ones which I've taken off?

For reference, the wheels are Easton EA30s (standard spec on the 2012 Peloton Race), and skewers are KCNC Z6 Steels. The old skewers were Easton units.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated, ta :)

wheels

Hi.
Probably machine built wheels.Get a decent wheel builder to go over them and give them a tension up.Doubt it is your QRs
Regards
Peter

Re: wheels

half cog":4weni42q said:
Hi.
Probably machine built wheels.Get a decent wheel builder to go over them and give them a tension up.Doubt it is your QRs
Regards
Peter

Yeah, they'll definitely be machine built wheels - thanks for the help. I didn't even think to check the spoke tension.. D'oh!

I'll have a check tonight and give them a tweak :)

daccordimark":1n6im1m9 said:
Can you not just put the old skewers back in and check flex?

Mark.

Dont be daft :LOL: Always think worst case scenario first then work back to the simple obvious things. :LOL:

daccordimark":37ynu0lq said:
Can you not just put the old skewers back in and check flex?

Mark.

Done :)

Flex is no different. At least I don't have to change the nice KCNC skewers I just bought ;)

poweredbypies":1a69y3ji said:
Dont be daft :LOL: Always think worst case scenario first then work back to the simple obvious things. :LOL:

Funny you should say that... I didn't even think to check the spoke tension until half cog mentioned it - something which I do immediately if I get the same issue with a set of MTB wheels! :oops:

Hi Barney :) I bought a Paganini Sioux 2-3 years ago, and took it for a test spin after a few minor tweaks because I was eager to "feel it up". The wheels seemed OK, so off I went. This 1 part of my test ride is a very long stretch of straight with a mild downhill so I decided to rip her (open the speed to the max).

At around 30mph (maybe more) the back wheel went like jelly, I've never felt anything like it, nor want to again. I slowed down real quick without killing myself, and promptly pooped my pants washed down with a nice long cold sweat & a shake. The back wheel was true because some jerk had loosened the spokes to make it straight. The ride + speed had quickly made them useless. A very wierd feeling when the wheel side to sides unexpectedly and tries to pancake. After a good seeing to they now run like a dream, Campagnolo SR hubs built onto Alesa V rim.

"Moral of the tale = Never ride a new bike until you've had a very small run around the block. This will bed the spokes. Then after a small weigted run, check your spokes for good tension, re-true any minor faults, and then trust them :)" OR "take clean underwear on fast test runs because you are to eager to do the afore :LOL: "

Later buddy, Laz.

Back