Calling motor mechanics (or anyone with an opinion!)

drcarlos":2mnkae67 said:
Whatleymeister":2mnkae67 said:
The buckle in a wheel only needs to be small to take out bearings. A small variance at prolonged speeds puts a lot of vibraitons through the bearings. So I am told anyway, and it made sense to me.

I call shenanigans on that, having run slightly buckled wheels for at least 18 months each on two different cars in my yoof and never taken out a wheel bearing I'd put it down to a poor quality replacement bearing, especially as you can't even see the buckle by eye. Can you feel the vibration from it like an out of balance wheel?
As replacements go the cheap Chinese ones last about 1 season if we are lucky (but we buy in a stack of 10 and replace then regularly) in our racing lawnmowers where a decent RHP or SKF will do 3 easily.

Carl.

I completely agree, i had a pre-buckled one on the back for five years and 60000 miles without issue, this was a wheel nobody could balance as it had a visible flat spot when spinning. I do agree in theory it could damage the bearing but its just sounding all wrong in this case. Think of the hammering that bearing takes every time you turn a corner and put it under load, literally tons of force is bearing down on it normally they last a very long time.

Replacing a bearing sounds easy but requires a good quality bearing and some care. Also you made it sound like you had multiple bearing replacements early in the thread, now it sounds like you've only had it done once and that could easily be bad bearing and/or fitting.

If you can't see it I don't know how the MOT found it as they don't check anything in rotation. So if it is not visible I'd doubt it is that serious, additionally you should feel it somewhat.

Got those bottom two on my watch list! That top one looks mint though.

I may take my car to the tyre place and get them to rebalance it to make sure it isnt something simple like that too as has been mentioned earlier. Mind you, need new rear tyres soon so will probably do it all at once. see if it makes a difference!

Yeah, I was a silly boy playing in the snow, but there were no other cars about (parked or otherwise) and no pedestrians either and a wave of madness came over me.

Perhaps it was the service invoice that picked it up. I will check when I get home. And the bearing has only been replaced once. The first guy who serviced it did so before the replacement bearing was fitted.

I'm unsure about the bearings/ buckle link - after running taxis at intergalactic mileages, bearing failure was rare. Even with alloys, steels and all of the potholes over the last 4 years, bearings were the least of my worries.

legrandefromage":1xhiohpc said:
I'm unsure about the bearings/ buckle link - after running taxis at intergalactic mileages, bearing failure was rare. Even with alloys, steels and all of the potholes over the last 4 years, bearings were the least of my worries.

How many of these wagons that made intergalactic mileages were Renaults though?

Carl.

drcarlos":2m2hj26g said:
legrandefromage":2m2hj26g said:

Carl.
Let alone a Clio taxi!! :LOL:

Whatleymeister":okw2hipg said:
drcarlos":okw2hipg said:
legrandefromage":okw2hipg said:

Carl.
Let alone a Clio taxi!! :LOL:

My Brother in law had a Laguna touring (52) and my friend has a Megane (54) and when they hit 70k bits starting go wrong/fall off like they have a built in 70k self destruct. I guess that the warranty is 60k so everything lasts just a bit longer than that, then they don't care.

Carl.

I had 5 alloys repaired and 3 of them straightened.. they ran perfectly fine, at many speeds, and lasted well.

A reputable refurber of wheels would be able to tell you if it can be straightened.

IDB1":2hux8a1h said:
I had 5 alloys repaired and 3 of them straightened.. they ran perfectly fine, at many speeds, and lasted well.

A reputable refurber of wheels would be able to tell you if it can be straightened.

I have straightened front wheel on mine motorcycle!
You should be more than confident on rear wheel of Your car.
You may need to repaint if they use torch to heat wheel,as was done on mine wheel.
You may be better with secondhand purchase or breakers, if You don't have someone able to straighten it for few beers tough.

Isn't it Clio Williams? :) :eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNCr_4gyuTY

if you look at the wheel bearing there should be a code on it
a good bearing supllier like brammer bearings
will be able to get you the same bearing for a lot less than the main dealer prices

a scarpyard would probably sel you all 4 of those alloys with tyres for around £80 then you would have some spare i belive those wheels are also fitted to meganes now all you have to do is find some

Back