Best Hollow tech fitting BB?

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi

Seems my bottom bracket has decided to start creaking and growning! (Mind you it has seem more mud and rain this year than on average!). Looking to replace it its an LX Hollow tech 2 before I just go and replaced it with another Shimano one...would other brands fit? And is there any difference between say an XTR one and a Deore on...

If you have had a good experience with a BB then lets here it! I need some help to know what to fit...Budget around £30-40...What would you get and why!

Cheers in advance

Doug

Im on hope ones. Easily servicable - cartridge bearings. Look pretty nice and yet they are quite simple.

You can service your shimano one you know?

Gusset, raceface and hope will also fit yours (no doubt a couple others too).

They are very easy to service - may as well get your moneys worth for a little effort.
Although if its already creaky/grindy etc. its probably had it.
I find the shimano ones arent seal very well in my opinion.

...yeah personally having dealt with many a creaky bb over the years I'd say it was shot! So where do I start with hope ones I know nothing about them...do they too need a specific tool to fit?

Same tool as the majority of others so you probably already have it.
I have bought all of mine second hand and they have mostly been fine (if you didnt want to pay new money).

So for a Hope equivalent BB I'm looking at more like £55...Worth the extra bucks or stick with a £20 XT one?

Worried about buying a 2nd hand one as seems like the No.1 thing to go on bikes (headsets a close 2nd!)...in my opinion! So how do you know your not taking on someone else's problems!

Very true. I guess for the price, maybe just get a shimano one. Some have had them last as long as any others really. And if not, well then you didnt pay as much in the first place so just buy another.

I run the Shimano ones because they are supposedly better sealed than say a Race Face one. Currently running a Saint one which I got from Rose Bikes in Germany for the princely sum of £16 instead of £35. The Deore ones are only £13 from CRC.

Hope ones are supposed to be good...I'm just too tight to fork out for one. Stay away from the Superstar ones because they are supposed to be poo.

Back