Bikes secured safely under lock and key ?

silverclaws

Senior Retro Guru
I hate to worry yah, but....

Guess what;

http://youtu.be/hr23tpWX8lM

And Youtube is full of ''how to's''

Now before anyone says it irresponsible of me to post this information, it's not, like I said anyone can find out how to do this stuff, but I put it here to warn all of us who have our expensive pride and joys behind locked doors, it takes seconds and what with retrobikes becoming fashionable, there is a market the dishonest will exploit, so be warned.

The worse locks are the euro cylinder locks which get fitted to nearly all new doors, no need for a bump key. Working as a carpenter on site someone lost some of the house keys, all I had to do was phone euro who told me how to open it with just a hammer and screwdriver, must have taken me about 30 seconds to get into the plot. now that type of lock I would not use.

A serious door bolt (3/8" or bigger) that goes into the floor will help a great deal.

Unfortunately it'll only secure the house when you're inside, but IMO that's when you'd want that security the most.
As much as we mind getting our homes broken into, it's a lot more scary (and/or dangerous) if we're inside the house when that happens.

Lock bumping makes a noise, if one is inside one would hear it, but traditional lock picking with picking rakes is nearly as fast and probably as fast or even faster with the more skilled operators, but more importantly, it is far quieter. So locks aside from some of the mentioned makes and others, trust no lock to keep yourselves or your valuables safe, for everything security can be overcome if someone wants in for good enough reason to make it worth their while and risk of discovery.

I had an expensive U lock made from boron steel, where it is claimed it would takle so long to cut through it or even bend the shackle to break the lock, but doing that it would break the bike frame first as even bog standard chromo is weaker than boron steel, so what's the point attempting only to end up a knackered bike. But that U lock that cost me near on £50 even I managed to compromise the lock with a couple of hair grips, (us long hair types have plenty pof them about). Now it took me ten minutes, but that was my first attempt after watching a Youtube Tutorial, and I am not doing this to profit, I was doing this to see how secure my expensive and heavy U lock was, I was appalled.

Now what occurs to me is people with the more expensive bikes will go for the so called better locks, anyway those that boast so much and carry a hefty price tag, and so all a criminal has to do is clue up on a few different locks then go looking and hey presto they could be bumping the lock in seconds. Further to that, how many people does one see carrying bolt croppers around with them, it's simple, it is the locks being bumped.

My Saracen had a n expensive Magnum lock on it, it still got stolen.

The key of course bearing in mind no lock is secure, is to slow down a would be thief, or make them make a noise and so attract attention, as to whether people in the UK could care less is another question.

Mind reading up on mortise locks there are some pretty nifty medieval designs, locks with booby traps that cut fingers off or trap fingers so thieves are caught red handed, and probably red handed too.

Easy_Rider":ymttvh8d said:
I guess this does not work on 5 lever type yale locks?

By all accounts that is the reason such locks have fallen from popularity, they are just as easy to pick as thew pin tumbler type, look it up plenty on you tube to show. It was from these type of locks that I found the bumping stuff whilst trying out how to make a key for a cabinet lock on a bureau.

Good luck bumping into my gaff.

First thing you will be met with is a pair of dogs.

You may well get licked to death.

The best security is to keep plenty going on at home, when we go away there is always someone around.

I was sleeping in the lounge at work once in London and I saw the shadow of someone sneaking down the stairs outside to the half open bay window.

They got a surprise.

Once down in Eltham someone actually came into the house, we just made loads of noise and they left.

You don't want to confront people, the risk is too great.

Relying on locks to keep everything safe is ok up to a point.

Lots of theft is opportunistic, so locked windows and doors are reasonably effective as a deterrent.

Back