Hope axle issues....Big 'Un that once had a short axle

Mindmap3

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
The Chameleon that I bought from here had Hope Big 'Uns and the torsion arm brake adapter. The brake adapter meant that it had a different axle. As I'm not going to be running this set up any more, I bought a Big 'Un with a normal axle and swapped that and the spacers over.

The issue I have now is that the rear wheel doesn't sit square in the frame. Would the wheel be dished oddly due to the shorter axle? I tried the rear wheel from my SX in the Chameleon and it sits perfectly square.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dishing should be the same as a "normal" wheel. How does it sit if you fit the wheel the wrong way round!
Pics would help...

It rubs on the other side of the yoke...

Here are some pics (all of the wheel in the right way round). Can't figure it out; the axle is installed corrcectly, with the bigger spacers for a normal disc set up. Hence why I thought it was the dishing that was out.

DSC03782.jpg

DSC03783.jpg

DSC03784.jpg

DSC03785.jpg

Hmm, strange! So you are too close on the drive side which should not have altered at all as the axles are the same over there...

I have all of your parts and more, I'll look when I get in but I recall the brake side spacer for the stock axle is big, 15mm or more and the drive side spacer is a skinny little silver one with teeth that barely protrudes from the freehub body.

Do you want to take the wheel out and show us what you have there?

Possibly a stupid question, but I thought the Chameleon had bolt-in dropouts..? :?
Is one of them incorrectly positioned, or simply the wrong size?
I would take one out and fit it behind the other to check if it lines up. Alternatively, measure with a string from the rear axle centre to the centre of the BB spindle each side to make sure the back of the bike is straight.

hamster":18pyxk58 said:
Possibly a stupid question, but I thought the Chameleon had bolt-in dropouts..? :?
Is one of them incorrectly positioned, or simply the wrong size?
I would take one out and fit it behind the other to check if it lines up. Alternatively, measure with a string from the rear axle centre to the centre of the BB spindle each side to make sure the back of the bike is straight.

Drop outs are in square...I've tried two other rear wheels and they line up fine, so the issue is definitely with this wheel. I can straighten it out by sliding the drive side drop out back, but it's not right and will just annoy me!

Magsy I'll take some pics of the spacers on the hub in a bit.

A 130mm wheel in my 135mm tandem frame looks exactly like that. Looks like a bit of spoke key action is needed to re-dish the wheel. You should be able to do this without new spokes.

hamster":2kkii5gm said:
A 130mm wheel in my 135mm tandem frame looks exactly like that. Looks like a bit of spoke key action is needed to re-dish the wheel. You should be able to do this without new spokes.

Better check that all spacers are correct and that bearings are seated properly first...

Sorry for teh delay....just been sitting in the garden.

Here are some pics of the end caps, which came from a normal Big 'Un along with the axle.

DSC03786.jpg

DSC03787.jpg

DSC03788.jpg

DSC03789.jpg

Thanks for your help so far.

Seems to be the right bits and pieces there.
Lets see...
The wheel - hub, rim etc were yours but had a shortened axle. That fitted OK, straight and all?
You got a new axle and end caps- now it's wonky; have you tried this wheel in the wrong way around? Try this!

Other wheels fit OK?

Something that does look a bit sus is the quick release end of the axle. It looks as though it has had to be forced into the dropout, mashing it up slightly. This is quite common with Hope hubs; all my Hopes have had this problem! Are you sure it is seating correctly in the dropout?
Fiver on it!

Latest posts

Back