Retro MTBer buying a modern road bike

Marcus W

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have never ridden a road bike since the 80's when I had a peugeot BITD at 14 / 15 years old.

Having been an avid retro MTBer for the last year and collecting 3 bikes I am now to offload one with a view to buying a modern road bike as a collegue is into road riding.

I will probably look at buying something used for around £300 hopefully within 5 years old. I have no idea of what is good what group sets are good / bad and would like some help and with sizing - I am 6'2" with inside leg of 32"

If anyone can help I would be very greatful

Stick to a decent brand should help ensure you get a good frame. On a 5yr old bike you may have to be careful you don't get something that hasn't been well maintained, groupset may be worn etc. I'd look for something with Shimano's 105 groupset, which is mid-range. Bike wise, maybe a Specialized Allez or a Cannondale CAAD8.

Size wise, I'd have thought you'd be looking 56cm ish?

Campagnolo is a good choice secondhand - the shifters can be repaired, unlike Shimano. Look for something with in ascending order Veloce, Centaur, Chorus or (unlikely) Record.

For that money you should get something decent with an Alu frame and Carbon fork.

I'd say a 58cm/60cm frame based on height and inside leg. for £300 I'd say try and find a £600 last years model with 50% off

road bike

You can easily fix something.
But the btwin triban at £299.99 got a rave review in cycling plus this month

Latest posts

Back