1992 Hard Rocx Bikes - The Cambrium * barn find *

stumpjumper1990

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I saw 2 bikes for sale on marktplaats. They were very nearby from my work. One of them was a Specialized Hardrock from 1998 and the other one was poorly photographed. The add said it was a high end norwegian bike form the 90's.... :?
I put in an offer of €40 for both bikes and the next day the seller told me I could come and pick the up. Not sure what to expect I went to the house.
The seller was a Norwegian woman who told me she worked for Hard Rocx Bikes in the early 90's and she was responsable for their marketing. Therefor they gave her this bike; a The Cambrium from 1993. It was their top model with XT shifting, DX braking and LX wheels! It is still completely original an in need of some TLC! Not bad for €20!!!

I think it's one of the first bikes from Hard Rocx. Their website tells me it all started for them in 1993....

Here are the pics of it's current state.... Not sure what to do with it though... :( It's not my size.....

GroteFoto-WFPLUTL3.jpg

GroteFoto-HGFS7VXS.jpg

GroteFoto-W3KX3BEN.jpg

GroteFoto-X6RCQ73U.jpg

GroteFoto-G3R77CUJ.jpg

GroteFoto-WP38XWX6.jpg

GroteFoto-HHSDFLS8.jpg

GroteFoto-WX6GILY6.jpg

Very nice :)

I'd be tempted to just give it a new chain,cables & a clean and lube.Then either ride it or pass it onto somone who will but it's too nice & original to split, and pretty rare i should think.

I put this in the shed in february and only got it out today! Checked the codes on the components and the code on the crank is PL. That means it's from december 1991! I'm thinking it's one of their early bikes, perhaps a prototype, because the company started in 1993 with the sale of their bikes! It's getting very interesting....

Here are some more pictures!! Not cleaned it yet and it's completely original!!

GroteFoto-KWB7RDII.jpg

GroteFoto-8STYLLMA.jpg

GroteFoto-N3FG3ONB.jpg

GroteFoto-CVK77BGR.jpg

GroteFoto-7LWLJ6FD.jpg

Re: stumpjumper1990

https://hardrocx.no/no/om-oss/historie

Hard Rocx was established in 1992 to create a better bike.
The story of Hard Rocx originates from Ludvig Torgersen & Co., which was established in Christiania in 1874 as one of Norway's first sports stores. With this as a starting point, we established Hard / Rocx AS on 2 / 4-1992, where we sold parts and equipment for mountain bikes to dealers throughout Norway. Since then, we have built up Hard Rocx as a company and as a stone brand for stone.

THE CAMBRIUM, OUR FIRST BUILDING
In 1993, we introduced our first bike because we couldn't find the perfect bike in the market from foreign bike brands. With this as a starting point we created THE CAMBRIUM which gave us a good start and a good foundation for building the company on.

The ambition was to deliver the most value for money in the form of Deore XT gear system, good design and good sitting position at a price no one had seen before. Dealers all over Norway opened our doors to us, and already in the first year we sold 1150 bikes with XT gear system and 30 bikes with XTR.

Re:

Looks to me like the gearing is older than the frame and zoom components. So could have been put together for staff with kit that was lying around?

Latest posts

Back