Parting out my Grove - - - Would it be a sin?

r0gue

Old School Hero
I had originally bought my Grove back off my brother who in 15 years had ridden it 5 or 6 times in an 11 mile paved bike path. My intent in reacquiring it was to make it a single speed. At first I couldn't bring myself to do it, but now I'm wondering with all of the interest in retro-premium derailleurs and Avid and Grafton etc etc... Perhaps it would be an easy transition and would fund the Chris King SS wheels and rings and fork and such.

But perhaps that would be a tragic move to disassemble a bike built with love and MONEY very nearly 20 years ago...?

Your thoughts my newfound friends :?:

img2070r.jpg

keep as is. you might only regret it once she is gone.

singlespeeds are a dime a dozen, just find a nice frame that floats your boat and start anew.

gm123xxx here has a very nice GT Psyclone SS i saw recently, with converted horizontal dropouts. its lovely..i am a GT nut of course. but its the principle that appeals..nice frame, simple elegant execution.

Sell all your other stuff, but keep the components as they came with your bike 20 years ago! You can turn it into a singlespeed, but with the original components you can change it back to original specs in the future!

I think your first bikes should be kept original..... IMHO...... ;)

I still have my 1990 Stumpjumper in it's original condition hanging on the wall of my shed. And I'm not going to change it......

Apart from the sentimental issue imo it would be a less nice bike as singlespeed. Back than there was also no such thing as a ss movement.

I can't believe that you're even considering splitting it up.........keep it! It's a beautiful bike with stuff you will work hard to find again.

.....try finding Paul mechs in that condition....

Selling the mechs could indeed fund the hubs etc. However at some point you'll regret it. At that point, you won't ever be able to find the current parts in such good condition.

Don't do it. Just get another frame and build that as the funds allow. In he mean time, enjoy the Grove.

Thats a poster bike for early 1990's boutique - too nice to split.

Hide it, forget about it, build a SS and then bring it out to show later.

If you plan on riding the Grove, I'd sell the derailleurs. That way you can fund a good portion of another single speed bike and still keep your Grove mostly intact.

Back