ALL BECAUSE OF A PICTURE-A TRIBUTE BUILD FOR A NATIONAL HERO

Piers":2io8fz5l said:
Lovely ;) Look forward to build pictures.
I had one of their Columbus Genius frames 'till some idiot crashed into it.
It was FANTASTIC to ride.
The signature seatpost clamp was a nightmare on USE shims though. Why USE? 30.4 (or 6)mm diameter seat-tube rather limited choice.
I had a custom stem with the same clamping gizmo. Thin steel on a 1" fork flexed too much to remain correctly preloaded. But it was very light and looked OK.
There are pics on here...
somewhere

here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

and I've a Genius road bike :)

Thanks mate, im looking forward to riding it more than building it, my scales are broken and i have ordered some more and im keen to weigh it, in my hand it feels.....LIGHT.. :shock: perhaps a little too light.

TBH i havent had much experience of a tig welded-columbus tubed-hand built British frame at this end of the frame scale before, :oops: to say im intregued is an understatement.

On first glance of the pics, it reminded me of a bontrager, predominently due to the way it was painted i suppose, the panel decals being quite understated, like the choice of team colours chosen.

But on sight of the frame, i couldnt help thinking of Salsa similarities and the Ala Carte, both tig welded, both using Columbus, both handbuilt, was this choice a coincidence.......? I may never Know.

The Hardisty would have been handmade to measure and the Salsa would be handbuilt but an imported frame. which leads me to the next question i had, which did he feel was better..? Again sadly i may never know.

thank you for showing yours, another quality handbuilt example, that stem is a very rare and sexy bit of kit too by the way...... :shock: :cool: Quality.

Attachments

• Jason2.jpg
    Jason2.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 2,367
---------------TIME GENTLEMAN PLEASE-------------------------------------

Given the timing, and our totally unprecedented success for British cycling in this years Tour de France, and the fourth coming Olympic games,

I respectfully request five minutes of your time, (no ten--- its worth it).

Take alook at the website below and if you havent paid your respects, by adding a comment, take five and do so...., the site details, a story, with some fantastic pictures of the rise of a National cycling hero.

Given the detail, and the time that has gone into it,... Not too... would be a crime, especially given the content imho.

It doesnt matter if you dont even know who Jason Mcroy was, it doesnt matter, he was an inspiration bitd, and still is today.

Many many people from all walks of life, most had never met him, have taken their time to pay their respects, they are all there, from a young wannabe racer from overseas, to the Legends that raced against him at the worlds.

It takes a mere five minutes, and i suspect his family and friends would certainly be touched by it too.

http://www.jasonmcroy.com/jmc/

RIDE FREE JMC.

Attachments

• jason_mcroy_who_tragically_died_in_a_motorbike_accident_921539645_231.jpg
    jason_mcroy_who_tragically_died_in_a_motorbike_accident_921539645_231.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 2,355
sinnerman":34ec1zmf said:
Jason was and always will be a a superstar. the story still astounds me to this day.

Much to the displeasure of the uk cycling community he went and raced the World circuit, he was underfunded, undersponsored, but with the support of a Quality bike shop, the help of a great frame builder, the love of his friends,(and sophie.. ;) ) the total devotion from his dad Jim and family, and total and utter skill and determination... he went to the worlds................He came back a Hero and the sponsorship from Specialized wasnt far behind, and rightly so imho.

Jason's story is so typically British. All the talent in the world but he had to prove it before anybody reallynoticed. Sounds like most of our top athletes!

Its good to know people did see his skill and talent, helped him and ultimately gave him the opportunity.

With that frame/build you have a great story and a great bit of history.

Jason's story and your dedication to learn and discover hopefully gives people (including myself) the motivation and excitement to keep building.

Absolutely flinkin awesome - can't wait to see it finished. Now I'm off for a brew in my JMC mug :p

Ride free indeed!

Loving that video. Brings back some happy memories of my youth.

Those guys were hardcore and showed no fear. Love it!

Who needs 6 inches of suspension :D Just go for raw speed!

i will probably never be able to build a rep of his salsa or mammoth rts..., but i do have this ;)

tattoo391.jpg

Back