SWMBO's Stumphopper/Rockjumper?? Cr*p photo update 26.02.13

Doesn't matter what angle you look at it...

GEDC0218.jpg

...it's still very, :shock:

It's those freakin tyres though, they'd make anything look outrageous, put black tyres on it and it'd be acceptable, hell, i'd ride it :)

Great as is for a Girl though :cool:, needs some Hello Kitty spokey dokeys :LOL:

Said 'Girl' may not look it but she's 42, so may be inclined to think I'm slightly taking the p*ss if the finished bike has anything 'Hello Kitty' or 'Powered by Fairy Dust' even remotely near it! :LOL:

Well, six months down the line and this build still isn't complete! :oops:

I had originally intended to fit 9-speed LX (the gold version! :eek: ) and V's, with the frame and fork as above...

...however, I have since decided that the choice of fork was somewhat 'frivolous' given the appalling state of my overdraft ( :oops: ) and therefore needed to go in exchange for something more 'affordable.'

The simplest option was to refit the Jett it originally had before I stripped it and had the frame powder coated, I even bought some replacement Jett decals. White seemed the best option to tie everything together...

...then I spotted a set of 'cyclocross' canti's on eBay (when will I ever learn? :roll: ) that were the spit' of the black Cane Creek brakes I've fitted to my red Wot; except I got them for a fraction of the price of the CC's :D

What fork to fit them to though, as the Jett has no canti' hanger? Drill the integral brace and fit a SJS/Tektro booster? Hmmmm... :?

Then I bought a pair of RST forks, a rather battered and seized yellow Mozo Pro and a reasonable grey Mozo Comp, ostensibly for spares as they both had bolt-in steerers whereas the yellow 'Pro I'm fitting to my RSP hasn't; so far, so, well, you know...

...now; the 'Comp is a slightly shorter travel fork than the 'Pro, so the first thing to do was see how easy it was to swap parts over to transform the grey 'Comp into a grey 'Pro??

Very easy as it turned out; unbolt the M5 bolt from the bottom of each outer leg on both forks, give a good yank on the crowns and le voila, two seperated forks. Slot the uppers from the yellow 'Pro into the grey 'Comp lowers, refit and tighten the bolts in the bottom of the lowers, and job done! Well, almost...

...as it happens, the stanchions on both forks are identical; the difference in travel comes from the inners inside the stanchions (longer compression rods in the 'Pro, with slightly longer elastomers). But, the rods in the 'Comp are nylon whereas the 'Pro's are alloy; so, to unseize the 'Pro inners...

...and once again, not difficult :D

Dismantle, strip and clean said seized internals in the washing up bowl in the kitchen sink ( :shock: ), all the while thanking whichever gods were responsible for the 'leaving do' SWMBO was at that night :cool:

Reassemble one leg, bolt into crown and...

...oh b*gger! This feels so much better that I'm going to have to do the same for all my 'Pro's now! :roll:

So, having at last decided which brakes/fork I was definitely going to use, it was time to make some descisions on how the final build was going to pan out; 8-speed LX, in keeping with the original intention to use the later LX, and due to the fact I could rob the STI's off the Lavadome I built for her boy...

...I even bought a 31.8 front mech for a very reasonable price.

Fast forward to today, the first day of my week off prior to the madness that is the Olympics! :?

First up; off with the black Bomber and the WTB headset that was really bugging me as it just didn't seem to fit together right(??), and in with the orange Origin8 headset that arrived from the US a few days ago (ordered when I thought I might just leave the Jett alone and use it as it is in all is 'Tango' glory?). Offer up the newly refurb'd grey Mozo Pro, complete with swapped over cro-mo ahead steerer in place of the threaded steerer it came with; add the Ritchey adjustable stem I bought to replace the Zoom adjustable in the pix above, with a couple less spacers; realise I've forgotten about the knackered star-nut in this steerer so pause while I...

...glance at my watch and realise (Oh Sh*t!) it's quarter to Midnight and SWMBO is going moan like f*ck! :shock:

To be continued... :oops:

:LOL: Oh, no worries on that score...

...she's the one hassling ME to get it finished so we can cycle down to the pub of a Sunday lunchtime :D

Replacement rear canti' hanger arrived in the post y'day so I think all that's required now is a couple of cable kits and we'll be good to go... :cool:

I hope you're documenting all these fork mods for a future "RST Mozo Super-Guide" ;)

lrh":2hybjasp said:
I hope you're documenting all these fork mods for a future "RST Mozo Super-Guide" ;)

Well I would, but all you need are these two pages...

...they really are that simple to work on; and the internals seem to have lasted a lot better than Judys' too :cool:

lol at the words..

angle grinder and replacement rear canti hanger.

just went thut the.... need m737 cranks, no longer need m737 cranks...shit now need m737 cranks back.

still looks great..but nothing deserves those tyres.;)

Latest posts

Back