Raleigh Randonneur

Ah ha! I have plenty of those lying around in the shed but didn't realise they were M4. I spent a good amount of time pulling my hair out, as they seem to be difficult to buy as an "m4 barrel adjuster".
I ended up taking one from a knackered rear mech, but your option is cheaper and easier probably.

Thanks for the tip with the barrel adjuster gents, it did cross my mind the other day so that's another problem solved. I finally found a front hanger of the right size but then found that the tab was the wrong way round, flat edge is at the front of the forks and the tab on the hanger was at the back. I've instead gone for a up hanger to mount on the fork.

I've just took the tyre off one of the rims, it looks like there is about 2mm left on the rim so I think theyll be ok for a bit longer (is it 1mm they should be changed?) but I had a mission getting the schwalbe marathon tyre off, it can stay off as well I've no patience for that!

Best price I found was about £50 for bar ends, either the ultegra index ones or the nicer looking dia compe/rivendell ones but are friction only, I went for the sti's but now thinking the bar ends would look nicer.

I just went for bar ends over STI's because I have dreams of going out into the wilderness and STI's aren't easy to repair, but bar ends/dt shifters are!
I got some 8 speed Shimano bar ends for around £30 I think, but it took a lot of looking and waiting. I assume they're Ultegra, because I have a feeling you can only get DA or Ultegra ones.
I don't know if you can actually just put any old shifters on the bar ends, because the mounts seem normal, so you might get indexed ones on the Dia Compe.
I used to be all about STI's but have recently been getting into the DT and Bar End shifters, as I do most of my cycling in London it's nice to be able to look down and see what gear I'm in when I stop at lights (frequently).

Good point, although I did read a suggestion that if on tour you could throw in a pair of dt shifters for emergencies and just mount them if needed, not sure how practical that is but they can't weigh that much.
I'm new to sti's, also dt shifters as all my riding so far has been with flat bar shifters. But on my new bike build I have tiagra and the rando is getting the 2300, both of which have gear indicators, its good for me as sti's with no indicators I'd be lost lol.

I do have a record ace with dt shifters but haven't done any miles on it yet, I really should to get some practice.

This was my 1991 Randonneur. I upgraded/changed almost everything in the time I had it. Bought a new brooks and installed a 7 speed RSX groupset. Although, when I took away the DT shifters I think it lost alot of its character it was much more functional and became a better bike. Ended up selling it at the start of the year before I moved to Holland for 6 months and now I'm back I've bought one of the later 708 models.

1991 Raleigh Randonneur RSX Groupset by ksvb5368, on Flickr

Well I'm actually waiting for the frame to arrive any day now, so I'll be able to tell you in a few weeks! Have went for much the same set up at the Randonneur that is pictured. I'll try and get some pics up too!

Good evening all

I'm new here, having been prompted to go searching for help on here after a relative gave me what he believes is a Raleigh Randonneur.

Things are made trickier by the serial number being covered over by a frightful yellow paint job! As far as I can tell it appears to be the same spec as that on the first post. It is definitely 531 judging from the seat post diameter, and has Raleigh embossed up on the seat struts(is that what they are called?).

The major problem is that it has been upgraded with Mavic wheels, has very good components all round, has black forks marked 'Royal' and a fluted seat post.

It's such a bitser that I really don't know if it possible to discover if it is a Royal or a Randonneur. Can post pics next week when it comes back from the shop.

Thanks in advance, and apologies for any slip in etiquette on here.

Jon

Hi Jon

Welcome to the rando fan club :)

I think you mean the seat stays, with Raleigh embossed on them.

The Royal was another similar model, unless you just have forks from that bike. I think the main difference was how many parts of the tube set were 531 and which normal. the 531 sticker usually states what the tubeset is but presumably yours was lost with the new paint job.

One of the main indicators of a Randonneur is the spoke holders on the rear right chain stay, but this may depend on the age as I think some were changed around.

I look forward to seeing some pics

Rich

Back