ALL BECAUSE OF A PICTURE-A TRIBUTE BUILD FOR A NATIONAL HERO

NeilM":1xdzirn6 said:
Carl, I don't know how you do it, amazing.

Right, got my comfy armchair, and coffee is on the go; settling down for a(nother) fine build.

Nor do i some times, it took 2 months to find it, and 3 months of work.. :oops:

We_are_Stevo":2yb4v1b5 said:
Who, what, why, where, when...

...for us ignoramuses out here :oops:

The initial interest for me was the actual frame, the seat clamp was reminiscent of a 90s italian road bike, not something i had seen done on a mountain bike before seeing JMC and others with them.(well not on our soil anyway)

The builder of the frame eluded me. But with the help of a lot of members, mentioning there memories it didnt take long.

The moment i found out it was a Columbus Genius tubeset, there was no turning back.......it had to be found.

The 1991 Genius tubeset was an unprecedented success, and used Niva chrome steel.

Some would say for the first time in the history of cycling the concept of differential shaped butted tubes appeared.

this for me was enough, i had nothing like it, i hadnt EVER ridden it, so the search for this frame was on, and it really was like chasing rainbows.

longun":3ter1ra9 said:
just outta interest, which particular picture, can remember a few a tbh, jmc always inspired me whatever bike he threw down a trail :D

It was this picture that sparked all my interest in the frame...

Attachments

• long_live_the_king_205.jpg
    long_live_the_king_205.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 5,598
cool, the race kit crops up from time to time on ebay as well :D

time has passed quicker than his death, ride free :(

nevadasmith":16exd0uf said:
Splendid work!

Is this a JMC frame?

Kevin Winter had something to do with Hardisty I think.

Looks like you've done a lot of work on it already - tell us the story!

Kevin Winters built approximately seven of these frames for JMC over his time.
Whilst working with Hardisty Cycles, which started fabricating frames in 79, by 90 it was kevins turn. A Certified Reynolds 753 master craftsman.

(apologise for the pic quality its the best i could do.. :oops: )

Attachments

• A young kevin Winters.jpg
    A young kevin Winters.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 2,778
Lovely ;) Look forward to build pictures.
I had one of their Columbus Genius frames 'till some idiot crashed into it.
It was FANTASTIC to ride.
The signature seatpost clamp was a nightmare on USE shims though. Why USE? 30.4 (or 6)mm diameter seat-tube rather limited choice.
I had a custom stem with the same clamping gizmo. Thin steel on a 1" fork flexed too much to remain correctly preloaded. But it was very light and looked OK.
There are pics on here...
somewhere

here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

and I've a Genius road bike :)

longun":inz2qb8t said:
cool, the race kit crops up from time to time on ebay as well :D

time has passed quicker than his death, ride free :(

This Race jersey pictured below belongs to our very own Guv, John.

And rightly so imho.

in the hands of a person that appreciates it.... :cool:

Attachments

• hardisty.jpg
    hardisty.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 2,762
Giom6":3o97q6pi said:
sinnerman":3o97q6pi said:
Thanks G.

It took some tracking down i can tell you, and then when i did manage to find it....actually getting it was another matter, but perseverance prevailed in the end... :oops:

As for the build, every pic i have seen shows a slightly different build spec of it, but i think its safe to say its going to be period correct, and as he rode it for the photo shoot for MBUK.

:cool:

Brilliant. I didn't doubt it for a second. If anybody could do it and jmc justice, it's you.

P.S I told you so... ;)

G.

Thank you for your kind words, support and help with this, you are my friend.....a Legend.

as you know, for me the interest in this frame was first, parts of its design, and then the tubing.
To uncover the frame builder was a massive bonus for me, i have thought for a long time now, that Kevin Winters has deserved a lot more credit for his achievements, and frame building skills.

And whilst the Jmc connection was a pain when trying to obtain it, im glad really glad that the connection is there, specifically for JMC bitd, and for the recognition i personnally feel should be due to the builder.

JMC flying the flag for Hardisty/Nike and the Nation at the worlds.

Attachments

• Jason4.jpg
    Jason4.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 2,756
saltyman":1husy036 said:
:cool: sweet!

still remember the original hardisty cycle shop (my local) what a bike this will be :cool: :cool: :cool:

cheers bud, this frame has been a journey i can tell you, especially as i live sooooo far down south... :oops:

Jason was and always will be a a superstar. the story still astounds me to this day.

Much to the displeasure of the uk cycling community he went and raced the World circuit, he was underfunded, undersponsored, but with the support of a Quality bike shop, the help of a great frame builder, the love of his friends,(and sophie.. ;) ) the total devotion from his dad Jim and family, and total and utter skill and determination... he went to the worlds................He came back a Hero and the sponsorship from Specialized wasnt far behind, and rightly so imho.

this is just my take on it....but for what its worth, the man was unknown at the worlds, and he came through...and done it with style....
this is at the 93 Mammoth Reebok eliminator, racing for Hardisty/Nike and doing the dual eliminator on his Hardisty badged Gt RTS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX4qkAbD ... 7537C851BC

Attachments

• Jason3.jpg
    Jason3.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 2,741
Back