front mech cable running across chain stay, solutions?

gtRTSdh

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
New front mech on with a different cable route that now rubs the chain stay in all front mech positions, the previous bottom swing front mech had a different cable route and wasn't rubbing the tubes. Any suggestions to cure this?

20120722129.jpg

20120722127.jpg

Two thoughts.

First, is to try and find a front mech with the appropriate cable routing.

Second is to run the cable through either a short length of cable outer, so that it is in contact with the frame. Or to do the same thing, with just a short length of the inner teflon tube.

This would not remove the sideways pressure, but it would at least mean the cable and frame were not sawing away at each other.

It's always good to get another opinion, helps relieve the pain of beating your head against the workshop wall ;)

...you are using a bottom or dual pull front mech.

Old bike ? (you are in retro...)
Use a bottom swing/tradition front mech as it would probably have been designed for. the cable will go up rather than onto the stay.

i.e. you have the wrong style mech fitted

If you have to run the wire like that, what about putting a thick cable tie around the chainstay? It will be much like the cable running across the bottom bracket plasticky thingie, hopefully. Or get a proper bottom swing mech.

Take it easy guys, christ have you never put a bike together or do you just take it to the shop and then never ride it so it never needs any maintanence?!

'92 frame, '97 mech, that's about as close to period correct as I get!

It's the top swing XTR M950 front mech with the split cage design, and I'm rather fond of it. The construction of the frame leaves very little space for a cable whichever mech is fitted, I don't know why the stays come so close together at the BB, it isn't logical to me.

eh ? You asked the question and even gave the solution ;)

I regularly fettle and even and fit modern parts to old bike, older than yours.
We are just giving solutions.
You have the wrong style front mech fitted, the solution is to use the correct style or live with the bend in the cable and the increased rub and friction that causes, if form comes before function that is.
(M953 to keep in in style, also as period correct as you get, with the rest as I guess that's probably M952 ?))
Though playing with cable guide position at the bottom bracket might help a bit, try moving it to the none drive side to get the cable straighter,. Some are multiposition and with a conventional style you might be able to get it to guide over the plastic up the centre so it doesn't rub against the frame/welding.

The problem with using cable outer-inner I've found is mud and water will get in and grind and rub and rust and that's the other end of the seattube away from the tyre mud dumping area.

...just trying to help...

simple solution, use the old mech or get the right new mech.
that is obviously the wrong mech for your frame.
i wouldnt use a bike with the cable like that.
you'll either wear the cable quicker, or gouge the frame.

i just noticed you say you are using a top pull mech. so shouldnt be pulling from the bottom.

do the job right or not at all.

Back