Removing the headset crown race

REKIBorter":a1hktlbc said:
Invest in the proper tool for the job and never worry about having trouble removing another crown race.

Good advice.

I have one of these but I've been meaning to get the other kind for a while, because there are some fork crowns (not that I've got any like that, mind) that the one I've got won't work with.

I am an engeneer, one of the best ways to do this and a method which is often overlooked is using a piece of wood instead of a screw driver, preferably a piece of hardwood, it won't damage the race, seat or forks, about 50x50x400 will be perfect, woods also great for fitting cups.

I use the stanley knife blade first method aswell just pop's it up a little to allow you to get the flat blade driver under the race easier.

Use an old knife.Tap it in all the way around then once you have a gap you can use a screwdriver.
If you just use a screwdriver without creating the gap first you'll risk damage the top of the crown an/or the race itself :?

Some forks are worse than others. I took a crown race off a set of Marzocchi forks last week with minimal effort but then had to give it a good tap down to make it fit a pair of Manitou forks as the steerer has a very slight taper at the bottom end of the steerer.

Overlooking the obvious...

...once you've got the damn thing off (screwdriver method myself) cut a slot in it with a Junior hacksaw and turn it into a split crownrace; then you'll never have any further removal woes, no matter how many times you change it ;)

Just fitted an Origin8 Aheadset to SWMBO's Stumpy; lovely piece of kit and came with a split crown race :cool:

Back