Le Tour 2012!

I've got this recurring image of the Sky teamtalk:

<Michael Caine voice>

Gentlemen, gentlemen. We are about to do a job in France. Now, it's a very difficult job and the only way to get through it is if we all work together as a team. OK so here is the job, we are going to the Alps to take the Maillot Jeune from right under their noses, and they won't like that.

These chinless wonders are our domestiques. They can ride rings round anybody else we'll meet on the way.

This is the plan; keep it tight, don't get distracted by the scenery or unnecessary stage wins, and try not to hurt anybody.

So that is the plan and this is the venue. France. And Belgium. Oh, and a little bit of Switzerland.

What it lacks in brown beer and sideburns it more than makes up for in beauty, trees, smooth roads and mountains.

They have a fit population, but they are full of du pain, du vin and du bourcin at the moment and we have toured bigger and better before and come out suntanned.

This is a good time for the raid as they are missing several key people who have been caught taking the wrong medicines or eating dodgy steaks.

France is a beautiful country, and there are plenty of dusky maidens to see and do, but this ain't no holiday trip. This is purely business. We go, we see and then we conquer.

Good luck gentlemen and remember Yes, it's a question of prestige.

If you go through with this, you've got to win.

Now where did I park that mini?

</Michael Caine voice>

Cor!!! :shock: what a final stage!!!
At one point I wondered if they would catch up to the breakaway, but the Sky Team put Cavendish in the perfect position for the sprint, in the end he won it comfortably.

had goosebumps watching the last kilometre! :D

While never a great "sports fan" (watching Stockport County on miserabale Friday nights 50 years ago no doubt cured me), I have for some decades folowed Le Tour to a greater or lesser degree. And I never thought I'd see such "british" (define it as you will, national chauvinism ain't my thing) success.

So there!

never thought i would see the day a english man would win the tour, superb for brad, and what a mighty sprint by cav to make it 4 in a row :D

Agreed Dave. Growing up watching the tour on channel 4 I thought that Robert Millar would be our greatest success. It never even entered my mind that a brit could ever win the greatest annual sporting event. And one just has.

I'm still in shock. :shock:

Well done Wiggo.
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Roast pork, spuds and apple sauce for dinner tonight. And a pint of Barnsley Better I've been saving for a special occasion,

NEVER thought I would see this day.

To put it into perspective, Denmark had national hysteria in 96 when Riis won. Don't see this happening in the UK.... but you can dream.

Its been an amazing tour indeed. Loved every minute of it.

Obviously glad for Brad, but so pleased for Cav today. The whole team was a class act all round.

Latest posts

Back