Re hydration - What do you drink when riding?

All I use is basic tap water with robinsons diluted juice for an interesting taste.

Water is water to me, won't upset the stomach with sugar drinks and supplements.

I'm in for something with a bit of a twang to it. I dilute approx 30 ml's of organic cider vinegar with a litre of water & stick it in my Camelbak. It's refreshing and an acquired taste but IMO tasty. Its a good one to try if you're short on juice & in need of a share!

Cider vinegar is a natural antibacterial so kills the bugs. Excellent at getting rid of snot and catarrh that comes with head colds too as its acidic, so the bodies natural ph balance is redressed. Just make it as strong as I can tolerate it. To clean and store my Camelbak I just use a stronger mix of the same stuff.

Bananas too

Anything else you pay for with a poncy label on it is a con and that's the end of it!

Slightly off topic, but I've tried several hydration packs and haven't yet found one that I can bear the taste of.

I'm fine with the standard bicycle drinks bottles, but all the hydration packs I've tried have a terrible plastic taste. I've tried rinsing them with a vinegar solution, repeatedly filling them with water, leaving them for a day then refilling and even this special chemical I got from a caravan shop that's supposed to clean, sterilise and remove the taste from caravan water tanks, all to no avail.

Are there any hydration packs that don't taste disgusting, or do you guys just put up with it?

I drink a lot of coffee and water during the day. I like to have one espresso before I leave for a ride, then plenty of water - I tend to drink a sip or two after every more challenging bit on a hot day. Sometimes I put a bottle of Gatorade or similar to the back jersey pocket, but water bottle is always on its place.
I recently discovered SIS Go Hydro tablets. I think it is a good stuff. Tastes good and refreshes.

xerxes":nkozj7tw said:
Slightly off topic, but I've tried several hydration packs and haven't yet found one that I can bear the taste of.

I'm fine with the standard bicycle drinks bottles, but all the hydration packs I've tried have a terrible plastic taste. I've tried rinsing them with a vinegar solution, repeatedly filling them with water, leaving them for a day then refilling and even this special chemical I got from a caravan shop that's supposed to clean, sterilise and remove the taste from caravan water tanks, all to no avail.

Are there any hydration packs that don't taste disgusting, or do you guys just put up with it?

I have a giant hydropack, it used to have a plastic taste, i use denture cleaning tablets (not mint flavour) drop a couple in with warm water leave for an hour or so rinse and its all good.

widowmaker":2mn92wbs said:
xerxes":2mn92wbs said:

I have a giant hydropack, it used to have a plastic taste, i use denture cleaning tablets (not mint flavour) drop a couple in with warm water leave for an hour or so rinse and its all good.
I use Milton tablets - the stuff to disinfect babies bottles (still plenty left from the times when my Little Devil was Nice Angel...). It kills all the nasty stuff.
And I switched to bottles. Camelbak Podium: taste free, nice valve, big neck for easy cleaning.

And the milton tablets/steradent etc are much cheaper than buying the camelback ones which are like £5 for a few ;)

If on a long ride i have always taken a banana just incase i run a bit flat and struggle to get back,it gives you such a boost you feel like youv'e just set out.

Back