Debating a new frame...

ChrisR

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
As some of you may know I rebuilt my orange MsIsle last month and I've clocked up some 150ish miles on it now but I just can't get my seating position right.

The frames a 16" and I'm 6'1" so seat post at max for virtually all the riding I'm currently doing (commuting/xc) I'm hoping to get a bit more into It riding some single track and longer rides over the summer currently only really done sub 10mile rides.

Prior to rebuild I was considering a new frame but thought I'd give the
MsIsle a chance.

Quite like the idea of a full sus but not 100% sold on it. what would you guys/girls suggest?

My previous ideas were along the orange five/ Santa cruz heckler route (sticking with something pretty strongly built as I'm currently around the 18stone mark but loosing it well currently having lost half a stone so far).

16" is quite small for your size, I nearly went down the full sus route got a frame and everything. But couldnt do it and went back to full rigid :LOL: . Will be having some front sus on my new build tho :shock:

Thanks for your opinion. Frame wise just throwing it out there as ideas. Ultimately I'd love an Ibis mojo but just can't justify that sort of outlay currently.

The 16" frame is the biggest MsIsle they made and for a throw around jump/slalom bike it's great but seeing as I don't ride like this anymore it seems a little pointless.

I an 6, 2 and was 18 stone last year so i feel your pain (try sugar fee jelly its great for dieting)

Go for a 120mm hard tail in a colour you like with a strong seatpost like a thompson, full sussers are for folks who spend all day in the garage trying to stop them squeaking :)

Also its a tech transition at the moment and all the frame manufacturers haven't caught up with headset and seatpost sizes. If you buy new you want it to be as up to date for as long as possible.

I am down to 15 stone now and riding has become hugely easier, I was fit before but I enjoy it a lot more know.

Sticking with orange or santa cruz you cant go wrong. Keep your mind open though which i know will be hard as a brand lover.
Hardtail should do you for now though?

An 18/19''?

I'll be getting a second hand frame as there's no point in me spending on a new one until I get to the size i'm happy with (hopefully 15stone if not a bit less).

Started a healthy eating plan this weekend which doesn't so much limit what you eat just corrects the way it's cooked and cutting out sugar, limiting things like bread and dairy products. It's shown to give good results that are lasting rather than a fad so fingers crossed.

Cyfa - yea looking at something 18/19" I think. Not sure what as yet but time will tell.

Something for xc/commuting = not a full suss, unless it's less than 130mm travel, you're just lugging too much bike about

What's your budget?

Personally I'd look for a 120/130mm hardtail, it will commute OK and will be a blast on the trails

Are you looking for new or 2nd hand?

Back