Re hydration - What do you drink when riding?

Water on the ride unless we stop during the ride and get tea & cake ;)

Interesting about the milk before a ride comment, I've never heard that before and I drink a lot of milk, and I do mean a lot, if I take a pint out of the fridge I will drink the whole thing rather than put some in a glass, probably do about 2 pints a day at least.

I had a go on Powerbars back in the day and they made me really ill??? I ate them during a couple of long rides and each time I was sick as a dog for about a week, not sure why, maybe I was allergic to something in them :?:

On long rides and runs I use High 5 energy drinks because they taste nice. I do also use their Protien Recovery drink after long rides/runs but only if I'm feeling really tired. I'm too lazy to make up some food and put it in the fridge for afterwards like Graham Obree recomended (on Panorama) and if I'm really tired I wouldn't have the energy to make a proper meal so would end up going without. A pint of recovery drink means within about 30 minutes I can function again and make some proper food. I'm talking about 20+ mile runs and 100+ mile road rides. Normal day to day training I just drink water and eat bananas. A 1.6kg tub of high 5 4:1 energy drink last me around 18 months. The same size tub of recovery drink last even longer.

for me just water, before during and after. Occasionally if i'm knackered I have this sustegen stuff, but yeah, either a bottle or camelback with water.

Just water to drink, I sometimes take some fruit, usually apples or bananas to eat on longer rides. Maybe a couple of pints of Guiness or real ale if there's a nice pub somewhere along the route.

matthew71":1lena6ky said:
and am afraid to say the bikefood honey stuff is not for me, just to sweet

Bikefood kindly sent me a few gels with a big order I placed for bars and drink. I'm not big on gels, I don't really like the consistency, but Jon was brave enough to try them and said that they have the consistency of honey and are REALLY sweet.... so that makes them perfect for me then ;)

I usually have coffee or fruit juice after a ride, that's after finishing up any drink left over from the ride.

Interesting to see how many people use post ride drinks, that is an area I have never really considered, as after 30 years in the Martial Arts, post training I have usually been starving hungry and gone for fruit and a huge bowl of muesli (or similar).

I shall have to look into post ride drinks, as I know Jon has products for that purpose.

For a homemade recovery drink, try a pint of milk, a banana, tablespoon of coco powder* and a table spoon of dried milk. Buzz in a blender. The protein and carb levels are very similar to commercial recovery drinks. The banana also aids recovery.

*adjust to suit taste

kaiser":1q84wiir said:
For a homemade recovery drink, try a pint of milk, a banana, tablespoon of coco powder* and a table spoon of dried milk. Buzz in a blender. The protein and carb levels are very similar to commercial recovery drinks. The banana also aids recovery.

*adjust to suit taste

Not keen on banana's, or coco for that matter :roll:

Interesting that people are suggesting milk, as that's exactly what I used to have after MA training, only with cereal floating around in it. I never considered that the milk was part of the recovery aid.

On a program a couple of weeks ago athlete's using milk as a recovery method showed better results than those using modern 'sports' drinks ;)

Latest posts

Back