Dambuster's Raid Ride.

Tazio":5fvqk21r said:
Ahem! The squadron was based at RAF Scampton, about 5 mi (8 km) north of Lincoln.

Why is it when 617 squadron is mentioned the only thing 'their' history jumps out at them is the ruddy Dambusters!
Don't forget 617sqd dropped more Tall-Boys over Germany than the Dambusters raid ever did,
617sqd was based at RAF Scampton from March 1943 to 30 Aug 1943 Oh and 617sqd was also based at RAF Woodhall Spa from Jan' 1944 to June 1945 too ;)

Just spent several days at Petwood Hotel in a private gathering of RAF Bomber Command veterans and was honoured to talk to many of them.

Cheers.
Ian Lanc' or as i'm known on here as Ian Raleigh...lol

Ian Raleigh":2s7725tq said:
Tazio":2s7725tq said:
Ahem! The squadron was based at RAF Scampton, about 5 mi (8 km) north of Lincoln.

Why is it when 617 squadron is mentioned the only thing 'their' history jumps out at them is the ruddy Dambusters!
Don't forget 617sqd dropped more Tall-Boys over Germany than the Dambusters raid ever did,
617sqd was based at RAF Scampton from March 1943 to 30 Aug 1943 Oh and 617sqd was also based at RAF Woodhall Spa from Jan' 1944 to June 1945 too ;)

Just spent several days at Petwood Hotel in a private gathering of RAF Bomber Command veterans and was honoured to talk to many of them.

Cheers.

I have no knowledge of where they were based, it was just attached to the part I quoted from another site. I was commenting on the OP stating it was brave English lads. The British forces were drawn from every part of the British Isles and the Empire.

Tazio":13dqwopw said:
I have no knowledge of where they were based, it was just attached to the part I quoted from another site. I was commenting on the OP stating it was brave English lads. The British forces were drawn from every part of the British Isles and the Empire.

No worries ;)

It wasn't until the 70's when people started to realise it was not just the British man who helped defeat Germany and one Squadron was
formed in Lincolnshire and was totally ran by Polish folk who ran from Hitler's gas chambers and for them to gain their vengance,
300 Sqd was born which was RAF Faldingworth and by christ[excuse the pun] did a bloody good job.

During the war there was many Indians who wanted to become air-crew but because of their religion they had to wear a turban at all
times many never got past the first tests of becoming air-crew because they refused to wear the type C leather helmet.

I've got a close friend in Ontario Canada and the house next door to him is were Guy Gibson was born and grew up, So my mate has always been mad about Gibson....lol

Still waiting for a reply by the OP for the Wellington memorial! Fingers crossed he may read his post again :?

Leave the Petwood hotel and turn right, up the road a couple of hundred meters there's a lane on the right,go up there maybe 1/4 mile and there's an obelisk with a bust of Wellington on top ia a field to your left, this could be you're memorial, from there it's a nice ride into Horncastle via Old Woodhall

Roger

Ian Raleigh":2wajqpaf said:
roadking":2wajqpaf said:
Woodhall Spa yesterday, lovely sunny day, took in a few sights including the Wellington monument. Roadking.

Where on earth is the Wellington monument ?

Cheers.
Ian.

Plantfit has replied viz the monument, I don't visit RB often these days.

Rk.

Tazio":1setyx3u said:
roadking":1setyx3u said:
Very hot, but some cracking roads, reason for the ride? Well 69 years ago this month brave English chaps flew to Germany to strike a blow for freedom.

Ahem!

"Led by 24 year-old Wing Commander Guy Gibson, a veteran of over 170 bombing and night-fighter missions, 21 bomber crews were selected from existing squadrons in 5 Group. These crews included RAF personnel of several different nationalities, as well as members of the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF), Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) and Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF), who were frequently attached to RAF squadrons under the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan. The squadron was based at RAF Scampton, about 5 mi (8 km) north of Lincoln.

I am fully aware of this although your"facts"leave something to be desired...a family member flew with 617 from its formation until the end of WW2.

I have a lovely photograph of him being presented to the King by Gibson.

Rk.

Ian Raleigh":1zp42u6b said:
Tazio":1zp42u6b said:

No worries ;)

It wasn't until the 70's when people started to realise it was not just the British man who helped defeat Germany and one Squadron was
formed in Lincolnshire and was totally ran by Polish folk who ran from Hitler's gas chambers and for them to gain their vengance,
300 Sqd was born which was RAF Faldingworth and by christ[excuse the pun] did a bloody good job.

During the war there was many Indians who wanted to become air-crew but because of their religion they had to wear a turban at all
times many never got past the first tests of becoming air-crew because they refused to wear the type C leather helmet.

I've got a close friend in Ontario Canada and the house next door to him is were Guy Gibson was born and grew up, So my mate has always been mad about Gibson....lol

Still waiting for a reply by the OP for the Wellington memorial! Fingers crossed he may read his post again :?

Suggest you check some of your facts...bit of a worry - for example; Wing Commander Guy Gibson was born in India, lived in Cornwall, and went to schools in Kent and Oxford.

The facts are well documented.

Rk.

poweredbypies":2vs6p6pw said:
Should hopefully be moving back home in the near future, I would be interested in joing you for a ride. Thats as long as you dont mind having a fat slow bloke joining in, whose idea of fluid intake is a flask of coffee :LOL:

Currently organising a really significant Lincolnshire ride for October.

All are welcome.

Rk.

Ian Raleigh":1g3cwkrw said:
Tazio":1g3cwkrw said:

Cheers.

The"reason"617 is and will always be associated with the Dam's Raid is quite simple; 617 was created for the Dam's raid, and equally always assocated with Gibson, and if my memory serves, the Tallboy came into service after Gibson's untimely death.

Rk.

Back