Mystery Nervex-lugged old bike

banjax

Retro Newbie
Hi

A friend of mine bought this old bike, and we'd love to know who made it. I'll quote his assessment of it:

So - it's got path ends, but I think it was designed for time trialling rather than pure track racing, as the angles are pretty relaxed and there's even provision for attaching mudguards. Also, there are no braze-ons, either for gears or a rear brake, but the seat-stay bridge has been drilled for one. Two distinguishing features: (a) the front drop-outs: I've never seen this design before, but it's very elegant; & (b) it's got 'Nervex' decorated lugs, presumably imported from France - there's a website dedicated to these lugs, but I haven't yet got round to looking it up. Finally, the frame was evidently hand-built using Reynolds 531 d/b throughout - the chamfering at the top of the seat-stays (a dead giveaway) is exquisitely done.

The frame number is virtually indecipherable because of the nasty paint job, but as far as we can tell it's: 59-306-d222*536.
*this is a lower-case (small) 2! I'm afraid this number isn't guaranteed, & is probably not entirely accurate.

It seems that I need to make one post before I can post any links, so I'll post pictures as a response to this.

Thanks so much for any ideas!

very nice indeed nice lugwork , cant help to id it . have you checked the hubs for date stamps if they are original it will you an idea of date .

i would say more path than track as not many track bikes can accomodate a gear set .

but who knows . i havean unknown made track / path frame bike that i built into a fixed gear bike as rear ward facing dropouts and an undrilled rear brake bridge made it ideal . sadly for sale at mo to its replacment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230828900386? ... 1555.l2649

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Nervex Pro was virtually the standard lug set of the late 50's to early 60's.
Hundreds of frame builders used them. Looks like a decent product of a small builder, general purpose frame to use for anything, but originally for fixed wheel. Clearance for mudguards and the old 27's.
Usually a frame built for fixed would have a slightly higher bottom bracket, perhaps 10.75 inches instead of 10.5 inches on 27" wired on wheels.
The lugs were accurate pressed and welded, with very little space around the tube mitres, and required minimal filing.

Back