Original Rock Shox boxxers

Wow that's looks great, what a mod. You might be right about not using a super deluxe but Peatys defo looks bigger than stock. I'll get some serial numbers tomorrow and post a picture of the engraving. Its been done by hand not machine. The spring I can't see anything on, not even any RS markings with weight etc.

Sorry about the quality of the pics, done on my phone! As you can see the engraving was done by hand, but why? All I can come up with is that who ever did it was dealing with a lot at the same time? But would a shop do that?? The serial number is hard to read but I think it says 9000447 L, the L being the only bit I under stand haha. Any ideas?

Attachments

• shock.jpg
    shock.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 981
Interesting! Ultimately doesn't matter but everyone loves a good story if it turns out there is one :D

My guess would be that as a home user you'd simply swap the spring but a race team would actually carry a whole series of shocks with different springs and simply swap the whole item.

It has been marked so they can just grab it and go?

One of mine has the serial removed but the other says 109800384 S. I read that to mean 10/1998 (99 Lobo) number 384 small.

That makes sense re the serial number...and what you say about the shock does too. Like you said ultimately it all means nothing but......with the forks defo being pre-production ex pro models I'd like to think that at some point somewhere someone with a bucket load of talent may have glanced at it! Haha. Its all fun and games.. :)

Great little read, Id give my left nut to own a lobo especially one of peaty's. I still have his first world cup win in 1998 Snoqualmie, USA on vhs i taped off eurosport the dirt cover he had to is still fresh in the mind

I love mine something special or not. I'm defo going downhill the replica route as the decals are half way there already!

Magsy, do you know the difference with the trunion cups? On alot of shocks you see on ebay the trunions are silver but on a couple i've seen they are black, mine is black. Any performance difference or just simple a colour thing?

Well, I have a dark grey one along with the silver, so that is three colours. I'm prety sure the dark one is the one that came on my bike from the factory.

From looking at mine, the silver are the latest generation mounts and don't have as nice finish as the grey one, which looks to have been finely machined. Same design though so I'd imagine for whatever reason they were anodising them/coating them in the early days and then just stopped.

To be honest I can't see how a performance advantage could be there, however I could see an issue with the early mounts being rectified in later mounts. Not everything is special in the right way.

those are definately pre-production ones. I remember rock shox debuted these on a few factory downhill bikes at the specialized cactus cup in 1997.

Back