Bromwich discovery

keepitmencap

Dirt Disciple
I was at an auction this morning and spotted this Bromwich hiding in a pile of bikes. £40 later, and she is mine!

Any ideas as to how old it is/model? I decided that it's fate that I found this frame (I grew up near Coventry, tedious link/excuse!), and that I really should restore it fully.

I live up the road from Mercian cycles, so think I will get them to do a proper spray job instead of risking doing it myself. I have read Lee Cooper is the man to speak to about decals, but I can't work out what the worn sticker on the seat tube says (also seems to be one missing above this, maybe that said the type of tubing?)

Any help on judging the age of this frame would be greatly appreciated, as would any advice on wheelsets I could look at to replaced the buckled ones currently on. I noticed the frame says 60/62....that's nothing to do with when it was made is it? :LOL:

bromwich2of6.jpg

bromwich6of6.jpg

bromwich5of6.jpg

bromwich4of6.jpg

bromwich3of6.jpg

bromwich1of6.jpg

I like that, can't give you any details other than I can see Crespera lugs, as used by Carlton.

very nice and great fine from another ex coventry lad .

if wheels are original check for date stamp should have four digits in block of two , one block is week number and second block is year of manufacture , could have similar markings on back of main castings on brakes .

I had a silver Henry Burton which I would guess might have been put together by the same builder. The lugs and the "Davis Components" bottom bracket shell were the same. Stafford, where HB are based, is not a million miles away from the West Midlands so I guess that makes some sense.

DSC02447.jpg

DSC02446.jpg

Those hard rubber-capped shifters are late 70's. The fact that they are band-on ties up with that as, by the 80's, bikes were using brazed-on shifter mounts.

Back