Renovated Koga Miyata Grantourer

Ivo

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
My stable mainly consists of audax bikes. Last year I started a project to build an fully usuable audax bike for less than 500 Euro. My starting point was a Koga Miyata Grantourer from 1987 or 1988. The only year they had classic downtubelevers. So I could easily convert it to Ergopower. My aim was not a full restauration of the Grantourer but a refurbishment to modern comfort without sacrifying the old steel comfort.

I bought the Grantourer in the Utrecht region from an old lady. The bike belonged to her deceased husband, he used it extensively for loaded touring.

imgp0802.jpg

imgp1190i.jpg

Over the winter I modernised it with early generation 9-Speed Ergopowers, a leather saddle (Lepper with titanium rails) and new handlebars/stem. And of course a better front light. So I started the new season with the Grantourer as my spare audax bike looking like this:

imgp1193.jpg

imgp1200.jpg

imgp1203.jpg

imgp1209.jpg

imgp1209.jpg

imgp1217l.jpg

imgp1224v.jpg

imgp1231.jpg

The first serious outing with the Koga was to the Erik's classic bike fair in Neerkant. The Koga handled great on it's first ride over 150km. Only the lighting had some troubles during the return leg, the Sanyo dynamo made way too much noise to be comfortable. Luckily I had a NOS on the shelf so this problem was easily solved. By then I allready had switched to a Trelock LED light which gives considerable more output as the classic halogen light. Also the front rack was replaced with a french one, of the same style as the original Koga rack. Planned were a pair of Edco wheels but the freehub proved to be problematic, the pawls don't disengage easily enough so I'm now on the lookout for a broken Edco rearhub so I can reuse the pawls.
During this audax season I used it in total for one BRB and 2 DIY 200's. For a 200 it handles as well as my usual audax bike, a 1997 Bioracer with all bells and whistles.

imgp0346f.jpg

Grantourer at the Crazy Bikers Brussels Tour (200km) in september

The Lepper saddle proved to be a lot less comfortable as a Brooks B17 and a lot less reliable, it broke last month. So now the Koga is outfitted with a B17. I plan to swap the crankset for a Suntour Superbe triple (the new one) and I am still looking for suitable freewheel pawls for the Edco hub. The current Decathlon wheelset will do for the moment though.

Build up with a lot dedication. Great you enjoyed it on your several tours. I've heard of reliability issues with the ti Lepper Voyager before.

Since my presentation of this bike it logged quite a lot of miles. And was rebuild once again. This month I rode the LRM brevet Vologda-Onega-Ladoga with it, a PBP knock-off in northern Russia. For this ride I decided to change to bar-end shifters and sturdyer wheels. So now it's running an XT rear mech with Ultegra bar-ends, Tektro aero brakelevers and better frontlights. The frontlights are fitted to a Velo-Orange frontcarrier which doesn't perfectly fit with the Koga bosses.

Some recent pics:

IMGP5198.jpg

IMGP5199.jpg

IMGP5313.jpg

Most of my training miles I logged on the Koga this year

IMGP1062.jpg

IMGP0751.jpg

IMGP0727.jpg

This bike is clearly designed for long days in the saddle on relatively flat and straight roads. Twisty descents in the Ardennes are to be kept for other bikes.

Midlife":3bt1jpuk said:
How many litres of drink ? ..........looks like Trappist Tripel :D

With these roadsigns 3 litres of drink is not a luxury:

IMGP5209.jpg

across the road this sign (which was repeated 5km later):

IMGP5211.jpg

Great update

Great update, Thanks
Would definately like to hear more about the Russian trip.

Jamie

Re: Great update

Jamiedyer":1qtl5bz2 said:
Great update, Thanks
Would definately like to hear more about the Russian trip.

Jamie

I'm working on my ride reports now. Started out with the Dutch version, the English version will follow. i could post it here on the retrobike forum ;).

Back