Original Rock Shox boxxers

ChrisBrown81

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Ok so i've put this in 98 onwards only because its borderline 97-98. I have a set of original boxxers but with a bit of a difference. They have a detachable fork brace ala judys. Before any one says it they are defo not DHO's. Nearly all of the other boxxers with the same decals off of 1998 bikes had one piece lower legs like the 151's. Also the actual slider legs are about an inch shorter than my 151 boxxers. A friend of mine seems to think they are pre-production boxxers given to teams to test. I do have a poster of Rob Warner on a atx1 with the same forks. Does anyone know if thats true? or are they just really early boxxers?? ta Chris

From memory the first production Boxxers were indeed one piece affairs, so what you have would indeed be the pre production versions specced on pro bikes circa 1997 as seen here on Tommas Missers Kona.

edd08558.jpg

Thats them!! I just wish i knew the history behind them. They are on my GT Lobo which also on the rear shock has engraved "GT HEAVY". I only have one picture of it on me as i'm using my phone but i'll post it. It makes me wonder then if this was a practice bike for a team maybe?..

Attachments

• IMG-20120720-00904.jpg
    IMG-20120720-00904.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,488
Are those frame decals original or have they been refreshed? I only ask as I'm sure they aren't on production bikes either, Peaty had them on his GT Lobo race bikes...

f1f55ec4.jpg

They've been on for some time as there is a few marks on them but I can't honestly say they are orginal or not. The one thing making me think that this might not be anything 2 special is that the teams used super deluxe rear shocks not coupe deluxe and the one on my bike is only a coupe....but still it has the engraving which is weird... Its a shame bikes don't come with service history etc haha

Nice, if you ever want to sell the shoot me a pm ;)
97 boxxer pro's, team only. Pre-production but raced by sponsored DHer's.
A big step up from the DHO's

What about emailing GT with the serial numbers of the frame/forks etc...?
They might not know for sure, but they just might have a list of the frames and components used for racing..

I wouldn't rule it out being an ex team bike based just on the shock, it may well just have been replaced with a stock item at some point. Definitely worth making enquiries.

I'm not so sure Peatys bike up there is wearing a Super Deluxe, I cannot see the intergral canister.

Where is GT Heavy engraved? The spring or body? The springs are always marked GT if original.

Does look like you have something special maybe! Does it have all roller bearings in the main pivots?

DSC02258a.jpg

Back