Victoria Pendleton - On BBC1 tonight :-)

I really felt for her after watching the documentary. Not entirely convinced she wants to be in cycling any more and is just doing it to satisfy the team, who've obviously put a lot in to her. Hope after the Olympics she can step away from the sport and enjoy a normal life with her other half.

Was a good insight in to how much support etc goes in to an athlete. A lot of time and money just to try and get a medal at sporting events. Got me wondering if it is worth it. What gain can be had from getting a medal. Encouraging more people in to the support?

EarlofBarnet":2epovcu5 said:
I really felt for her after watching the documentary. Not entirely convinced she wants to be in cycling any more and is just doing it to satisfy the team, who've obviously put a lot in to her. Hope after the Olympics she can step away from the sport and enjoy a normal life with her other half.

Was a good insight in to how much support etc goes in to an athlete. A lot of time and money just to try and get a medal at sporting events. Got me wondering if it is worth it. What gain can be had from getting a medal. Encouraging more people in to the support?
I couldn't get whether the audience were just seeing one side / perspective, just because of the programme maker's slant.

Some of the comments of the team hinted it, yet it didn't really manifest in the programme - and my suspicion is that that was due to the story they were trying to tell.

Nobody gets to that level, trains like that, and performs like that without being incredibly driven. It's not just pure ability that gets people there any more, they already all have that, it's natural ability, plus a helluva lot of hard work - and the programme showed little or no of the drive that I feel must be there, and the team hinted was.

One thing it did show, though, was how psychologically fragile people in that situation can be - whether that's purely a product of their history, expectation and pressure, or inherent, I'm unsure, but the hint of "It's all in your head..." type issues, and the influence / help from a psychological standpoint, seemed quite key at times.

To see her beat her rival, earlier this year (I haven't closely followed her career or performances) was a nice touch, and showed some psychological robustness - even if some of it was as much about rules as performance. But I liked the way she seemed to try and better her because she'd tried to intimidate Pendleton on track, was something that showed some guts.

I watched the hour long program about Bradley Wiggins yesterday, thought it was quite good, it was interesting to see the differences between Pendleton & Wiggins.
It also showed that having the right trainer, team etc is almost as important as being on top of your game physically.

I enjoyed the program :) roll on Sunday and the finish in Paris, a British 1 + 2 and a stage win from Cavendish would be icing on the cake :D

jimo746":3alx05xt said:
I watched the hour long program about Bradley Wiggins yesterday, thought it was quite good, it was interesting to see the differences between Pendleton & Wiggins.
Was that on BBC, too? If so, can you remember the channel / time, I'll try and watch it on iplayer, later.

Neil":2kch4uop said:
jimo746":2kch4uop said:
Was that on BBC, too? If so, can you remember the channel / time, I'll try and watch it on iplayer, later.

It was on ITV4, same as the Le Tour coverage.

jimo746":310akyht said:
roll on Sunday and the finish in Paris, a British 1 + 2 and a stage win from Cavendish would be icing on the cake :D

Given that Cav hasn't - as was predicted by some - pulled out of Le Tour early to prepare for the Olympics after all, I've a sneaky feeling that the Sky game plan is to give him a good shot at a third Paris victory....

David

I think that she's nice, seems to be suffering from mild depression, and you lot are gits.

She's been training 6 days a week for 10 years, apparently. Give her a break! I hope she smashes it in London, retires on her massive Halfrauds advertising payout, and lives happily ever after. So there.

djoptix":lvtw1dew said:
I think that she's nice, seems to be suffering from mild depression, and you lot are gits.

She's been training 6 days a week for 10 years, apparently. Give her a break! I hope she smashes it in London, retires on her massive Halfrauds advertising payout, and lives happily ever after. So there.

Wasn't going to say anything... but now I will.

And it is....

What he said. And yes - you lot ARE gits.

djoptix":3j1noq4s said:

Agree.
Can't say I warmed to her particularly as a person, but have to admire her hard work and dedication.
And she's far nicer to look at than her Aussie rival? Her jenk is bigger than mine!

Back