Suitable for MTB stem

xerxes":1oug8qao said:
It would have been if it wasn't discontinued. :(

Still plenty about of course,ebay ;) But its effectively a road stem,i would ideally like an mtb stem but if its the only option :?

They won't look out of place on a MTB, and are tough enough to take on rough off road routes (I have one on my Ridley Triton-T, which I regularly ride farm tracks on 700C*23)

Thinking about it, I don't think it would matter if the stem was slightly longer, 5mm or so, than the exposed steerer.

Your top cap would sit straight on the stem and if the stem has two steerer clamp bolts, one top, one bottom, there's enough "meat" around them to spread the clamping force, so that a little overhang shouldn't casue a problem.

Got a 90mm Raceface Deus XC in black. It's done two rides only. Bar clamp is 31.8mm.
I measured it up and while it's 40mm, a 35mm steerer length will go beyond both clamp bolts and be just right for fitting a top cap directly, especially if it's a deep one like a Hope.

£15 to you, sir.

hamster":2swcng7l said:
Got a 90mm Raceface Deus XC in black. It's done two rides only. Bar clamp is 31.8mm.
I measured it up and while it's 40mm, a 35mm steerer length will go beyond both clamp bolts and be just right for fitting a top cap directly, especially if it's a deep one like a Hope.

£15 to you, sir.

I'd really need to see a pic of it and where the bolts sit exactly :? i have a number of stems and theose arent suitable due to the bottom bolt being raised slightly so therefore the upper bolt sits higher than i need.TBH 40 mm is a bit more than i was hoping for.Maybe 38 but at a push
There is not a lot to play with here im dead on 35mm so a 2mm gap on top for the compression is fine,5 mm though it sounds tiny is actually a lot for this build.
But a pic would help :D me make up my mind

JamesM":2swcng7l said:
These have a short stack height, 35mm and are available in 90mm and 110mm:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=59606

CRC were doing them for £10 about a month ago in the sale. Back up to £40 now. If your not in a hurry I'd keep an eye on it to see if they drop the price again.

This would have been ideal and typically i did look at them on planetX and on-one when they were reduced.
:roll: Hindsight eh ? :LOL:

Found this .Bit longer than i wanted but the top tube is slightly shorter than im used to so maybe it will do :?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FSA-XC-150-XT ... 19d31cb7e5

XerXes":2swcng7l said:
Thinking about it, I don't think it would matter if the stem was slightly longer, 5mm or so, than the exposed steerer.

Your top cap would sit straight on the stem and if the stem has two steerer clamp bolts, one top, one bottom, there's enough "meat" around them to spread the clamping force, so that a little overhang shouldn't cause a problem.
Top cap does need at least 2mm so the underside of it doesnt bind against the top of the tube.undersides are rarely totally flat,theres nearly always a curve :?
The top bolt then causes the problem by deforming the top of the steerer and that makes that bolt pretty useless.It really needs solid to grip safely on.
I am intending to use something like hopes head doctor though there are other makes that are far longer.I can get on at nearly 50mm[or is it 40 :?] so it sits far enough down and fills the tube to prevent it deforming. :?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Syntace stems have a stack height of 35mm. They really are the dog's bollocks.
I have a 120mm F99 (99gms) going spare but it's only suitable for 600mm bars or shorter.
Their lardy F139 (139gms) are downhill rated.
They go for peanuts on Ebay, despite costing quite a bit more than Thomsons.

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=390

Minimum insertion is 32mm! :D

suburbanreuben":341ntcn8 said:
Syntace stems have a stack height of 35mm. They really are the dog's bollocks.
I have a 120mm F99 (99gms) going spare but it's only suitable for 600mm bars or shorter.
Their lardy F139 (139gms) are downhill rated.
They go for peanuts on Ebay, despite costing quite a bit more than Thomsons.

http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=390

Minimum insertion is 32mm! :D

thank you indeed :D ill look out for one :D

:D

Back