Fixinga broken 9 speed cassette

taffy

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Has anyone ever repaired a 9 sped cassette.

specifically Ive one one with a spider and the 26t cog popped off its rivets.
3ae19b2e.jpg

I'm loath to throw away something thats seen about 20 miles (and has been hiding in a parts box for about 7 years!)

1323199a.jpg

i know replacements are not available but i'm thinking it's possible to replace it if a good 26t cog can be sourced from another block.

Im not completely sure, but would you have to take off the one before it? And thus the one before that, and before that etc. And the other 26t that you may need to source would come from a cassette in similar condition to match? Which would also mean making that one useless. Keyword here is rivet though. Just which type/tool to do it with?

Getting rid of the old rivets i don't see as a huge problem drill/ hammer n punch.
And even working the new cog on (assuming i could find a donor cassette) should only be a pain in the bum .

looking at it fixing the bugger in place would be the faff - there would require removing the 3 smaller cogs to rivet it in place securely.

cyfa2809":1ywog2ta said:
Im not completely sure, but would you have to take off the one before it? And thus the one before that, and before that etc.

if the sprocket popped off withiout breaking then surely it should be possiblet pop it back on?

02gf74":3mbq31kj said:
cyfa2809":3mbq31kj said:
Im not completely sure, but would you have to take off the one before it? And thus the one before that, and before that etc.

if the sprocket popped off withiout breaking then surely it should be possiblet pop it back on?

I dont think it would have come off without being damaged in some kind of form due to how the rivets are under the next cog.

You might get a new one on without taking the others off.
But you'd have to sacrifice another cassette so it isn't worth it?

Back