G4S

It's still not as funny as your signature - makes me chuckle every time I read it :LOL:

Bisty Luke Boiiii, oi'm yer faaaarthur. Ow's about thaat

Lysander":1xkndfxs said:
Members of the armed forces have been drafted in at short notice to bring you your coat... :p

They cant.. G4S were guarding it but no one turned up and some tramp in splot is wearing it now!

We can all sit here and laugh, but some things can't be ignored - if nothing else, G4S have a staggering financial performance and growth in recent times.

Sure, some high profile, and in some cases, quite frankly, humorous blunders - but all the same, as a company, their performance in recent times, is staggering.

Is how successful they have been so far is particularly relevant?

There are abundant comparisons to be made with companies that have grown fast and crashed spectacularly once their M.O. was revealed.

:)

highlandsflyer":1i1gim3r said:
Is how successful they have been so far is particularly relevant?
Relevant to what?

Relevant to people wanting to slag them off, either in ignorance, or discarded knowledge of how they've performed as a business.
highlandsflyer":1i1gim3r said:
There are abundant comparisons to be made with companies that have grown fast and crashed spectacularly once their M.O. was revealed.

:)
Their "M.O." as you put it, was known from very early days, and they were ridiculed back then, too.

Point remains, they've thrived, and in doing so have achieved growth that other, more respected businesses haven't.

All I'm saying is that has a certain irony, given how most seem to want to perceive them.

It is a little like saying we all should hold fire on criticizing Cameron, as he made it all the way to Prime Minister.

I am not buying it, it is a lame argument.

The public have no responsibility to judge on anything more than the moment, and it neither undermines nor props up their view to suggest they are not looking at the whole picture.

highlandsflyer":2nrz70u6 said:
It is a little like saying we all should hold fire on criticizing Cameron, as he made it all the way to Prime Minister.
No it's not - it's nothing like that.

What it is like, is saying we should hold fire on criticising Cameron, if he'd been hypothetically been prime minister for the last 10 years (or more) and hypothetically, yet comprehensively and objectively, showed improvements in the country.
I am not buying it, it is a lame argument.
Well if you're not buying it simply on the rationale you've given, your argument is borked.
The public have no responsibility to judge on anything more than the moment, and it neither undermines nor props up their view to suggest they are not looking at the whole picture.
Most people are blissfully unaware of either the financial performance of G4S, their growth, or their current size.

What most are aware of, is high-profile, embarrassing, Daily-Wail headline criticisms of the company (in many cases, probably in the main, stemming from a reasonable basis, but over-egged, because it looks sensationalist; and criticisms stemming from a political bent, regarding their involvement in security and related matters in the UK (as I said, most are blissfully unaware of just how far, internationally, they've spread).

So yes, it does undermine some criticism - because a lot of criticism of G4S is either media stimulated, or political mitherings, and is often from positions of ignorance. I'm far from convinced the same criticisms would be levied if the unwashed truly realised the growth and financial performance of the company (not that I'm overly enamoured with those aspects - but in fairness, is objective metric on how a company is performing at least from a fiscal, or competitive perspective).

Equally, I'm sure many of the shareholders are reasonably satisfied with their performance over time, too - although some will likely be irked by situation(s) with recent acquisitions.

Back