Campagnolo or Stronglight cranks

which cranks?

.....although Stronglight would be a quite acceptable period choice you must take into account that Holdsworth were the importers of all things Campagnolo (check Bike Riders Aids) and they used Campag. components exclusively on their race bikes so I would keep it inhouse!

At the moment the bike has drive side only Stronglight and the frame number suggests its 1965. Which model campagnolo would be used at this time.

Chuck moo":162evykd said:
At the moment the bike has drive side only Stronglight and the frame number suggests its 1965. Which model Campagnolo would be used at this time.
.....the correct choice for 1965 would be Record with a 151 bcd but Nuovo Record (1967/84) with a 144 bcd looks 99% similar and much easier to find plus cheaper!

If memory serves ELSMAR were the sole reps for Campagnolo and Holdsworth just distributed to the wholesale / trade.

Back on topic, I wouldn't get too uptight about what exactly to put on, BITD the "groupset" concept wasn't really about and people used to buy what they liked, what they could afford and what got handed down from richer members of the Club :)

Shaun

Thanks, I am now gaining knowledge over on velobase. I think I am going to go down the nuovo record route, I quite like the look of it too, which at the end of the day is more important. Cheers

One advantage of a Stronglight or TA crankset compared to the Campag ones of that era is that (assuming you're using a double) you can run a smaller inner ring to suit your climbing ability.

David

Back