Just destroyed rear mech, spokes and hanger (Scott P3)

Scougar

Retrobike Rider
Well... will put a pic up in a bit.. but just came to a screeching halt at about 30mph on a main road when for some unfathomable reason my rear mech ripped off (or was caught) and ripped half my spokes up jamming the rear wheel.

I'm now in the position to replace the rear hanger (it's cracked and bent), then mech (shimano LX derailer) likely the mech cable and have a wheel rebuild... plus possibly a new chain.

Frankly, it may be cheaper to get a new 2nd hand bike at this rate.

It's a Scott P3 Sportster Hybrid.

Honestly can't explain how the hell this happened.

It happened to me a few years ago when I hit a pothole and the mech bounced sideways into the wheel. Hell of a fright.

Tazio":1ojmjfon said:
It happened to me a few years ago when I hit a pothole and the mech bounced sideways into the wheel. Hell of a fright.

Hmm.. thinking about it - and this may be complete coincidence - I 'may' have just ridden over a bit of hard plastic that the wind blew in front of me. (it's like a wind tunnel down that section always in your face).

Just trying to price up some bits now.

Edit: Facebook rocks. Friend just offered his bike on loan till I sort mine, coming around in 15 mins. Awesome. Not such as emergency now.

As I ride to work every day, I will still need to find a cheapish bike to replace it, or find a cheap way to repair it. A rear hanger by itself is £15 to £20 (The hardest bit to obtain I would imagine).

So.... it's looking like the damage is:

1) Bent chain (Shame as that was only a few months old)
2) Cracked and bent rear LX mech hanger
3) Possibly a front LX mech
4) Bent Rear LX mech (and snapped cable)
5) Rear wheel needs spoke rebuild.

The front and rear cogs look OK.

A friend has offered rear mech to me, I just need to sort the rest of the stuff.

Anyone got guide prices for those bits?

Back