Another what colour saddle & tape question (Menet?)

Some Guy

Retro Guru
b8p7ag.jpg
16lfrdx.jpg

Hi
I got this frame and fork a while ago and collected the parts, with the intention of building it up as a 'Sunday best bike / garage queen', and It's my 1st bike with "brifters". It'll also probably be used for a few Flanders and London to Paris type things. The girlfriends brother and brother in law are dead keen (and I'm to mean to buy a nice new plastic fantastIc).

But I'm left wondering what colour for the tape and saddle? I was thinking white Rolls and white perforated tape? But a trip to the LBS showed me some yellows and pinks..

ANY views appreciated..
(I've got a spare black Rolls, should I decide on a non white bar tape).

And if anyone knows anything about Menet that would be great. All Google tells me is they are a bike shop..

TBH, white tape might be a step too far. I think that bike would be best (and this is only my personal opinion) with a black saddle and black tape. Do not go for yellow or pink as you will never get the tape and saddle to match.

tiermat":t98cc4iu said:
TBH, white tape might be a step too far. I think that bike would be best (and this is only my personal opinion) with a black saddle and black tape. Do not go for yellow or pink as you will never get the tape and saddle to match.

I think you may be right about the white/white. But reluctant to go black/black..

The white paint has a pearlescent type lacquer.

Decision, decisions..

I'd go for a black saddle and black bar tape - it will match your brake hoods and the frame is such a beautiful white colour anyway that more white would be too much.

Definitely a black saddle; white is a bit fussy: built for show or go?

I don't think there's any need to match saddle and bars, in fact it can be a bit "Mother of the Bride": if it's too co-ordinated it could look naff. An asymmetric scheme can give a bike more poise.

Black is practical but dull; white is old school cool but a contrast with the frame could be more effective; I'd go for red, but it might clash with the pink detail on the frame.

Perhaps a harlequin wrap job, using two of the accent colours is the answer?

ok I just fitted the black saddle and it looks a bit... of a stark contrast and maybe a little dull? I can see how that It would be a LOAD more practIcal. But this bike doesn't really need to be 100% practical. Although not having to forever clean the saddle would be handy.

Maybe I just need leave the black saddle on it a while and get used to the black?

My other main bikes have, dark brown Brooks saddle with red cloth tape (Holdsworth) and dark brown Rolls saddled with fluro green bmx grips on risers (geared lo pro). Although the postman bike does has a black saddle and grips but thats how they come an it's a beater.

Some Guy":1nnn5t01 said:
:LOL: :oops:
Must seem like a right indecisive twit! Just wanna get it right..
Tape is cheap enough and it's not like you're stuck with it once it's on, so experiment: you won't really know until it's on the bike.

Back