Raleigh technium ( 1989) build

Wold Ranger":2o1arwg7 said:
rupeww":2o1arwg7 said:
Nitromors is very slow but keep at it.

If you look at the "dawes escape" in my signature you will see I did the same thing and got good results in the end.

There is a powdercoating place near me that will dip a frame and repowdercoat for £75.00 though, so you have to ask yourself if its worth stripping by hand.

I have a customer of mine who does a frame and fork for £35 (York's based)
does a good job, choice of 5000 plus shades. £75 is pricey.

I think the place near him is Triple S though, who do excellent work and mainly do custom motorbike frames. Their standards are very high.

I've used them and it ended up being half the price they quoted.... go figure??

Oh, and MADB, if you ever tire of that frame please let me know, my brother had a Technium and I'd love to replace it for him one day (it was stolen and I know he loved it). He is on here so shhhhhh... :LOL: ;)

I will do mate, no chance of that any time soon. This polishing lark is taking some time. I might get my self a 3 stage kit off the tinternet to speed thing up.

I have a soft spot for the old techniums, do you have any thoughts for the steel sections ? Polished alloy main tubes will be very cool , I know what I would do with the steel ;)

Another bike that I am looking forward to see develop :cool: :cool:

Gravy Monster":19blm83j said:
I have a soft spot for the old techniums, do you have any thoughts for the steel sections ? Polished alloy main tubes will be very cool , I know what I would do with the steel ;)

Another bike that I am looking forward to see develop :cool: :cool:

Going to paint them, the thinking at the moment is is florescent yellow forks head tube, stem and bars and then white stays.

But I`m also think maybe a nice metallic dark blue for every thing but the main tubes. Dark blue and all silver components = very classy.

Hopefully Gil will sort me out some custom decals as well.

What do you think.

as I have another frame on its way I thought I best push on with this a bit, so had a few garage tokens, so about 2 hours later I have the stem bars and forks ready for some colour next.

main.php

main.php

2 cotes of etching primer and 2 more coats of normal primer. Just going to wet sand it bit before starting on the colour but I very happy so far.

glad you are pushing on with it. as i want to see the finished article :cool:

madB, which technium is it? i've picked up the 'heat' model and i believe there is a range of them.

wondering if gil can do decals for these. will ask at some point.

cheers.

Here you go marc some colour pics for you. This was after about 4 coats, I wet sanded again and put 2 more coats on after this. I will clear coat the parts I have done ( bars stem and forks) and if Im happy I will start on the frame.

main.php

main.php

Cheers Brian

cs1":1azpvwbj said:
rupeww":1azpvwbj said:
Nitromors is very slow but keep at it.

If you look at the "dawes escape" in my signature you will see I did the same thing and got good results in the end.

There is a powdercoating place near me that will dip a frame and repowdercoat for £75.00 though, so you have to ask yourself if its worth stripping by hand.

The lugs and tubes were bonded (fancy word for glued) instead of brazed. Powder Coating is cured at 400deg. Can the glue stand that temp before failing? I wouldn't chance it.

I'd worry more about a paintstripper dissolving the epoxy used to bond them, too.

Henkel own the Nitromors brand and since about 2006 all they've done is rape the legacy of working products they subsumed into their portfolio. Nitromors doesn't work anymore because the actual ingredient in working paintstrippers was restricted by EU legislation that came into force in 2008. If however you can find Starchem Synstrip with your google-fu, then that still contains naughty ingredient X. What do the Yanks care about stupid EU law? ;-)

Sorry I'm a bit late to this one...

Back