MacRetro National Innerleithen. Chat thread.

velomaniac":x4nank9d said:
Another alternative might be to do an epic ride to Selkirk from Inners via the Southern Upland way or such like, lunch in Selkirk then wind our way back by same route taking in Caddon Bank descent.

That sounds like a good idea. The long "going somewhere" rides appeal more to me than a trail based loop.

My suggestion in a wee bit more detail :
Climb up the XC route to the shortcut around the final Minch Moor climb then follow timber road untill it meets Southern Upland Way and ride that to the Three Brethren. Then jink off that and descend if its possible down the Long Philip Burn path and into Selkirk. Lunch break then head along road trying to avoid A707 if possble then rejoin SUW and climb back up to Three Brethren and retrace route back to top of Minch Moor for the XC trail descent back to car park.
Need to recce it but it might help us avoid being viewed as a group that only does trail centres.
If weather is not good then we just stick with the XC route and any oldschool DH we can find.

Loads of Links to B&B on the Innerleithen Web pages (think I just googled Innerleithen..)

I can check on availability of the rooms at my local - think it's about £20PPPN.

I was hoping to be able to offer a garage for secure storage (not that it's really a problem in Inners but...)

The Hill to the north, aka the Golf Course (or Caberston) has some good tracks, not ridden it for years though and those I did were mainly DH. That would be the one with the big square water tank....

I could ask Ian Linton if he could suggest some other routes - he's been a local since day dot and knows the hill better than I do... I know there are some hidden tracks which wind up as well as down

TK Most of the Tweedlove tracks are shut now...

Velo I like the sound of that! I'm going tomorrow, so tonight I'll try to plot what you've described onto a map.

Change of plans, I'm not going today but on Thursday if anyone is interested? My back is noodled after Saturday, hopefully a couple more days will help!

Back