awful service

captaincosmic

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
we ought to have a name and shame section for bike shops

I ordered some Pauls levers and brakes from `Tokyo fixed` 12 WEEKS AGO
spoke to some chap at the shop on Tuesday last week who told me the Pauls order had arrived and should be with me later in the week !
So its too much bother for them to put it in a bag and stick it in the post AS I have still recieved nothing from them Maybe they just want to round up my wait to 13 WEEKS I suppose my little £280 order is a bore to them.
I left an email with them over a week ago and have had no response.

So just a warning...probably a great bike shop but not in my experience

Dont get me started :x

I have used 3 bike shops recently, all 3 have left a lot to be desired. Nothing dangerous it just seems that they are rushing the work and not being thorough enough.

I have dropped into several of my local bike shops recently:

Halfords - Wanted £5 to loosen a bottom bracket and got funny with me when I queried the charge. 'It's a fiver or £9 for a tool mate'.

LBS 01 - Normally get ignored for a minute or two before being served even thought the shop is empty and I'm stood at the counter with the guy within feet of me. Went in one day and stated clearly that I had a shopping list, only to have the guy serve me with one item then leave the till area to continue in his workshop !

LBS02 - Stated that he had never heard of Panaracer tyres so they can't be as popular as I has stated. Also seemed confused when I asked for the small barrel adjusters from an old Weinmann 500 series brake caliper, kept showing me modern MTB brake lever adjusters !!

LBS03 - Does not take card transactions, cash only, wanted 50p more than Halfords for a bottom bracket removal tool.

I'm losing faith in the whole LBS topic.

*Is Grumpy*

I have recently bought a bike repair book, got a few tools of my own and joined a really friendly retrobike forum and intend to do all repairs/maintenance myself :D

Even though it takes me hours to do the most basic things at least i know i have done it right :p

We ended up charging a minimum of £5 for any job, we were a busy shop and had people coming in all the time, ''can you just pump my tyres up'' , ''can i just borrow some tools''...........if we weren't busy fine , no problem, but would you go into your local car garage and ask such things.

Cake was the only alternative currency :D

I'm getting a bit hacked off with my local specialized concept store - trying to order a chain tensioner kit for my P1 is impossible, despite giving them the part number!

Chase it up, and get told someone will call me because they can't see it on the specialized system (eh, ever heard of a phone lads?) etc.

I don't really have an LBS, so its CRC / Wiggle / second hand for me. I can do most things myself so have no need for workshops etc.

Awful service or awful customers?

Getting to know my lbs more as they are nearby traders and really, some customers want an awful lot of service for very little money/patronage

I am not suggesting that this is the scenario here but offering a different viewpoint.

captaincosmic":2xy083gw said:
we ought to have a name and shame section for bike shops

I some Pauls levers and brakes from `Tokyo fixed` 12 WEEKS AGO
spoke to some chap at the shop on Tuesday last week who told me the Pauls order had arrived and should be with me later in the week !
So its too much bother for them to put it in a bag and stick it in the post AS I have still recieved nothing from them Maybe they just want to round up my wait to 13 WEEKS I suppose my little £280 order is a bore to them.
I left an email with them over a week ago and have had no response.

So just a warning...probably a great bike shop but not in my experience

I've never had a problem with them. But would you like me to call in? As not far from work.

I'm really happy with the local shops I've been using recently, Wheelies in Uplands, Swansea and The Bike Hut in Swansea centre. Been in both a few times getting them to do mundane stuff that I can't be bothered to shell out for the tools for, like headsets, bottom brackets and buying random stuff like gear cables, nipples etc

Nothing is too much trouble and when I ask if they can do it now while I wait I never get a grumble and I'm now known as the Pace man in Wheelies ;)

i need to point out, halfords is not a bike shop.
and the one local to me doesnt employ a cycle mechanic.

although it helps getting to know the owner of any bike shop.

Back