The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Well I got a fully working Jag XK220 race prototype (the CF bodied one) from our local scrapper for £50. ;)

Has anyone said they hate you before now? :LOL:

Tintin, you prefer the sound with 'no disk'? :LOL:

Completely refurbished these with new foam. With do me till buy some Electrostatic headphones.

Bit of a surreal moment just now.

Connected up my Magnum K's and Module 80 in the workshop (old kit from when Goodmans made decent gear) to decide whether to take it with me when we move.

Dialled up radio 2, and sat back to some very very foot tapping engaging music from the Jaywalkers. However, said music was accompanied by grey pungent smoke from the top grills and headphone socket on the module 80, but as it continued to work fine, I just sat and waited to see what happened next (beside, I was enjoying the Jaywalkers - new to me).

Nothing happened aside from a slightly raised hum in the silent bits - I expect a reservoir cap self combusted.

Suffice to say I will be taking this kit with me, and refurbing those Magnums properly. Wonderful sound for some very old boxes!

apache":1qm8nwzt said:
Tintin, found this. May be of some use / interest. Extremely straighforward topology, those Albarrys.

http://www.audiodesignguide.com/Albarry/index.html

That explains why i had problems with my panal speakers BITD

Their web site states these are designed for 'box' speakers. And if to be used with ESL's & others to tell and they make changes to the protection.

I understood some of that audiodesignguide.com. :LOL:

ESL are almost active speakers. I cant remember the load they present to the amplifier but they could be run from just about anything.

Whereas Apogees are almost a short circuit! Huge power supplies are humbled, manufacturers pale at their very mention!

Did I also mention I was at the birth of NXT speakers too? We used to test the transducers on all sorts of materials, skulls were fun and so was estate agent sales boards. Low frequencies were a bugger though and I think that eventually killed them off.

I also made a fun bit of kit using piezo transducers - another daft load on an amplifier.

I only play with bikes now.

The predecessor to NXT's flat panels were invented by a few guys who used to work at DERA Malvern when I was there. I think they started off as 'Freespeech' and may have got involved with Farad Azima of Mission Electronics for a while.

Given what DERA did, it must have been a Defence spin-off of some sort, though I cant imagine from what!

Hahaha, 'previous owner painted them blue'...

Think I'll get the brush and the hammerite out and go and spruce up the Ferarri...

What a loon! :LOL:

apache"} What a loon! :lol:[/quote said:
One born every minute :LOL: What was he thinking? Must have run out of paint.

I bet the child is not getting any birthday presents after running in to the speaker :LOL:

Back